What to love or hate about the 2017+ Toyota C-HR? - Page 6 - Toyota C-HR Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 11:58 AM

I thought putting it in Random Mode would take care of it. You know ... randomly play music from the entire library on the USB ... but NOOOOOOOOO! It only randomly plays from the currently selected album.
That means if a song is listed on an album as "So-and-so featuring Someone else", then it never gets played while listening to "So-and-so".

-----Erwin__________
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 01:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graygoat View Post
That's been a "Toyota thing" for over 15 years.
I'm used to "Deutsche Gründlichkeit" so Toyota's are new to me.
post #53 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 09:01 PM

I don't even worry about this. I'll be replacing mine soon with a Pioneer deck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 08:53 AM

Things I personally like about the C-HR. The first thing that I would mention are the looks of these vehicles. It is different enough and I personally think it looks pretty aggressive for what it is. Ride quality and just general comfort and visibility. All the safety features built in etc...

For what I'm not as fond of is of course the power. That said... If you did any research on these vehicles you knew they were not meant to be speed demons. I'm not disappointed with the power but no matter the car you could almost always use more power. I'm not fond of the head unit at all. Lack of Navigation, Satellite radio, etc... I realize that this was supposed to be a Scion brand before Toyota disbanded the brand but the head unit carried over. The dated look and function leaves something to be desired. I'd imagine in the coming model years we'll get a touch screen interface. No power supply in the dash and only one usb port in the dash. Putting the power supply in the console only was a mistake in my opinion but that's just me.

All in all, the pros outweigh the cons to me and it's just a really nice, fun car to drive and spend time in.
post #55 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 07:42 PM

Things I like about the C-HR:

The looks. That is what drove me to purchase two of them. I just think they are very good looking vehicles

All the safety equipment that comes standard on them

The brake hold button. Silly I know but I use it all the time now that I have it.

Ride quality and handling.

There are many things that I like but I'm sure that most have already said the same that I would.

Things I dislike about the C-HR:

Obviously power. It's not that it's underpowered for it's size but any increase in power would be welcomed.

No power outlet in the dash and only one usb port.

The radio head unit. I didn't like it when it was in a Scion and I still don't like it. I figure eventually they will put some type of tablet style head unit in the car.

No available navigation option.

That said no car is perfect so you have to make compromises. But the pros outweigh the cons to me so I'm happy with my purchase.
post #56 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 07:45 PM

Lol... to show you how much I pay attention to my posts I already replied and then created a brand new post right below my reply.
post #57 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 06:16 AM

New owner here!

Things I love about the C-HR:

- The look and the design
- The ride comfort and stability, the steering and the general enjoyment of driving it
- For a 1.2, it's surprisingly nippy

- All the extra functions (even though I don't really use them!)

Things I'm not so keen on:

- Unable to have the music mute or reduce in volume when navigation directions are being described
- Cannot increase the volume of the parking sensor warning beeps
- Hill Start Assist seems quite tempermental
post #58 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 04:47 PM

What I like:

Comfortable interior (2019 Limited) - Center storage box is nice sized
Heating/cooling controls are well designed and not distracting to use while driving
Placement of the gas flap open button is good
Love the automatic head/fog lights and the rain sensing wipers
Decent sound system and love the Sirius XM
Cruise control is easy to operate
Handles really well
Minimal wind noise

What I would like to see different:

Would like a little more low end torque
Would like automatic locking door feature
Would like hybrid and AWD option
Would like an electric lift gate assistance feature (I'm 5'1" and its impossible on an incline to reach the tailgate handle).
post #59 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

Since I haven't put my official gripes into this official thread on likes and dislikes. Here goes:

Handling. Even with my base LE wheels/tires, I'm amazed how well this thing corners. The thing is very composed when pushed and I'm surprised about the minimal body roll and understeer. All the development time spent at the Ring has paid off. I've shocked a couple of cars where they expected our little C-HR couldn't perform in the turns/corners. The latest person to find this out was some guy in a BMW 330i. Tried to keep pace with me going onto an on ramp to a highway. We started side by side and when I was merging onto the highway, he was about 6 to 10 car lengths behind. Granted I have had a lot of track time though.

The amount of standard equipment. Such as dual climate controls, auto dimming rear view mirror, heated outside mirrors.

Decent sound quality from the stock stereo system.

Overall styling. Although I wish the overseas black plastic grills were what we got here in the States.

Auto up/down on all windows.

Dislikes:

ENGINE! What was Toyota thinking when they put these anemic power plants into a car with this type of handling and the looks to match. Everyone I've shown the car to has made the assumption the car is fast. I've said I've had many incidents where I tried to do a Fred Flintstone through the floor pan to get more acceleration out of this car. Toyota realized there were inherent issues with the package and did some rework of the US offering after the first year of being on sale here. That says they recognize there is a significant problem. They should have put the Corolla HB engine into this car for at least the 2019 model year launch. The only thing I'm grateful for with using this old engine is that it's port fuel injected (meaning no issues inherent with GDI engines) and it uses a timing chain. Imagine how many more sales would materialize if we had the whole package (engine and suspension).

Infotainment. This has got to be the worst Infotainment system on the market. It's maddening a lot of functionality gets locked out once the car starts moving. I understand Toyota is emphasizing safety. But this is beyond ridiculous. The fact I can't change play lists with my connected iPod until I come to a complete stop is plain stupid. The reponsiveness of the system is also terrible. Some times taking seconds for any reaction. The regular crashing of the Entune app syncing/connecting from my Android phone to the head unit. The terrible choice of Scout GPS as the factory GPS app. I guess at least with the Limited you have a full GPS system. And the major flub....no Android support. All the other car makers have Android and Apple support as standard now. If we look at just stock for stock, at least us 2019 owners have Entune 3.0 with the hope Android Auto will be added. The 2018 owners get shafted with an even worse Infotainment system. But the 2018 owners have one big advantage over us 2019 owners....the ability to easily install an aftermarket solution. If I had the option to install an aftermarket double DIN head unit, I would have already done so by now.

Headlights. These have got to be one of the worst factory headlights. When I test drove my car, it was during the day. I got to realize how terrible the headlights were when I took delivery of my car that night. Granted I got spoiled with my BMW's HID headlights, having to have to run your high beams on all the time to just have some visibility is unacceptable. It was so bad I had an aftermarket HID kit installed in my car less than a week of ownership. I paid about $135 for my HID kit. I can't imagine having factory installed HID lights to add that much to the price of the car.

Use of space. For the size of the car, I don't understand why there isn't more interior space. There's a huge amount of dashboard in the car. I don't understand why all that dashboard is needed. The 2.0L engine isn't that big. There could have been more interior space if the dash was shrunk down.

Smart phone/tech usage. One USB port....really? One 12V accessory power port. Really? That so called cubby hole under the dash next to the USB port for your smart phone to be stored in. Really? The location of the USB.....under the dash so you have this flopping loose wire that you can use to pick up your smart phone as it falls out of the cubby onto the floor mat. The USB and aux port should have been put inside the center console storage/arm rest. There should have been a miscellaneous tray as part of the center console design. There is an aftermarket tray you can put in which I have. But it's a pain in the butt to access the area below the tray when driving. No 12V or USB charging ports for the rear passengers. And it would have been nice to have a 12V power port in the trunk area.

No lumbar option for those of us that don't want to go all out with the Limited trim.

2019 Toyota C-HR LE Silver Knockout Metallic
2013 BMW 135i Carbon Black
2009 Ducati 848 Pearl White/Black
2004 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R Black
post #60 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 11:51 AM

Thanks for a very comprehensive review. I currently drive a 2014 Corolla but considering a switch to the C-HR and would appreciate your opinion on its power response. I'm aware it's slower than most cars — even perhaps a Corolla — but how has been your personal experience having driven it for a few months. Do you find it frustratingly slower while picking up at stop lights or acceptable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota C-HR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page