My 2019 CHR - HEATER - Toyota C-HR Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

My 2019 CHR - HEATER

It seems it takes a long time for my car to heat up when it's cold outside. My remote start only let's my car run for 15 minutes but even after that the car is slow to heat up. I leave the fan on high and the temp on 78 when I turn the car off the night before so it is starting up on these settings. I wish there was just a switch for the heater. I feel this car should get toasty warm after 15 minutes with it being a smaller car anyway. I'm rather disappointed about this.

SHARONWHIT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

I found there is a delay in the HVAC actually firing up when you set the climate controls to Auto. I think the delay is programmed into the computer to allow the engine itself to warm up properly before engaging the A/C compressor. As many times, the Auto function will also engage A/C.

It's been real cold here lately too. I found the HVAC system didn't fire up for several minutes with the engine dead cold. I turned off Auto for the HVAC and got the HVAC to spin up blowing air through the vents.

Keep in mind, it's going to take quite a few minutes for any substantial heat to be blown out the vents because the heat used in the HVAC system is from the heat of the cooling system for the engine. There's a lot of water/anti-freeze which has to reach a certain temperature before you'll feet heat through the heater core in the dash.

On my BMW, I typically get heat pretty quickly through the vents and wondered how that was possible. Come to find out, BMW added an electrical heater element to provide temporary heat until the engine warms up.

2019 Toyota C-HR LE Silver Knockout Metallic
2013 BMW 135i Carbon Black
2009 Ducati 848 Pearl White/Black
2004 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R Black
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

I just confirmed the behavior of the HVAC unit. If the HVAC is set to Auto and the car has been in very cold temps, the HVAC will not come on for at least a few minutes. This is regardless of whether the A/C is set to come on or not. I tried to get air blowing out of the HVAC by turning the A/C on and off with the HVAC set to Auto. It was only when I got the HVAC system out of Auto (regardless of if A/C is turned on or not) was when air immediately blew out of the vents.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

So in order to get the car to heat faster I should be sure the auto is not on, changer the Temps to Maybe 75 ish and then the fan on all the way? If I leave the front defrost on will that take away from the heat in anyway? 2 days ago the temp was down to 15 degrees here. I had my car set the night before for the temp to be 80 and the fan on high, and defrost on. After warming my car for 15 minutes it still wasn't comfortable. My old 2008 Camry would run you out with heat after warming up 15 minutes. There is nothing in the owners manual that even addresses the heat. It was an additional 10 or 15 minutes of driving before it got toasty warm inside. Really is a let down.

SHARONWHIT
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Unread Today, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know what would happen with leaving it in defrost. I think activating the front defrost automatically takes the HVAC out of Auto mode.

As to why it takes so long to heat up (eliminating the Auto mode delay), I can't really say when comparing to your old Camry. It could be due to difference in the amount of coolant in the cooling system. But the Camry has a bigger engine in it, so I don't think that's the case. It might be due to when the thermostat opens allowing coolant to flow through the cooling system. I'm still learning about Toyotas and the C-HR. My experience with cars has been with GM products and more recently BMWs. I don't know if the C-HR uses an electronically controlled thermostat or if it's a traditional mechanical one and at what temperature set point the thermostat opens. I know many manufacturers want the cooling system to run at a hotter temp to increase fuel and emissions efficiency.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota C-HR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page