Rough Idle After Battery Replacement - Toyota C-HR Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Rough Idle After Battery Replacement

Went to start my 2018 Toyota C-HR (45k on the clock) yesterday. Everything lights up fine when the key is turned over to accessory, but when I go to turn the car over it just clicks rapidly. Hmm. Maybe the battery is low for some reason. I put the battery on a charger, and go about my day. A little over 3 hours later I come back to check on the battery, fully charged and in float mode. Hook everything back up, go to start the car, rapid clicking again. Continue to go about my day. Come out and try again, car turns over slowly, but it finally starts. Let it idle for a bit, took it on a 10-15 minute drive, come home, turn the car off, try to turn it over again, nothing.

At this point Im convinced my battery is shot. I run to the auto parts store, drop $200 on a battery, come home and install. She starts up fine, but then starts idling EXTREMELY rough (around 600rpm), almost like shes misfiring, and when I try to hit the gas pedal it limits to 1500rpm. At this point Im at wits end. I let it run for about 10 minutes thinking the computer needed to reset after being unplugged, but nothing changed.

At this point Im at wits end. I took the new battery back out, and threw it on the charger at around 9pm, reinstalled at 9am this morning. I have oem style fog lights that I installed myself on a separate switch as to not tap the factory wiring harness, so I unplugged those. Checked for any blown fuses. Cleaned the MAF sensor. Same problems. Only thing that is different is that today, there is no check engine light on whereas there was one yesterday.

Im at a loss here. She starts fine, spins like a top for about 5 seconds, and then takes a massive ****.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
So, after 2 days at the dealership, I have my C-HR back.

Somehow the wiring harness to the ECM was knocked loose, which caused a valvematic control module malfunction, which essentially caused my valves to get stuck in place. Thankfully they were able to do a hard reset on the module, and everything is back in working order.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota C-HR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page