Toyota sales down for 2019 - Toyota C-HR Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Toyota sales down for 2019

Toyota has already seen a big drop in sales for 2019, with a 7.1% dip from January last year. One of the only models in their stable that have actually improved is that of the C-HR. Even with the huge interest in SUV's and crossovers, their overall sales volume for this market has decreased as well. Just goes to show that its a tough industry for anyone these days. https://jalopnik.com/toyotas-huge-sa...019-1832303081
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 08:42 PM

Long story short...

1. Gas price reasonable = Americans buy trucks even though they have no need for it most of the times
2. Toyota keeps improving their lineups and offers many models and many options = sales per models are spread out more

2018 Toyota C-HR XLE Premium Magnetic Gray
Current: Blacksys CH200 Dashcam, Solargard UP Tint, LED Interior, OPT7 Color-Smart LED Strip Interior Footwell Lighting

Want: HID Headlight, LED Foglight, Android Auto HUD, Solar Sunshade

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 09:25 AM

The adoption rates for electrics are steadily increasing as well. New models like the Kona and Niro represent an incredible value and the infrastructure throughout Europe will soon be on par to that of petrol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 10:18 AM

Sales are usually slower at the beginning of a year, as many people are also considering buying into many of the 'used' models still sitting on dealer lots. With some negotiating you can save yourself a lot of money on something they've been having a tough time moving. From what I've seen the U.S sales are higher from this past January than they were last year.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

As much as technology has established its role in our daily lives, it's a travesty how poor the infotainment systems Toyota has pushed out to the market. There are people who buy vehicles solely on the electronics package. Many people have long commutes where heavy traffic is the norm. Having a good infotainment system can help with making a drive unbearable to tolerable. Simple things Toyota makes difficult such as being able to browse/select play lists you've already created being locked out while you're moving is beyond infuriating. Look at all the complaints on this board and other Toyota boards about how bad the infotainment systems are.

It's also nice the C-HR seems to be doing better in sales. But imagine how much better it would be if they had put in the motor in the new Corolla hatchback into this car.

2019 Toyota C-HR LE Silver Knockout Metallic
2013 BMW 135i Carbon Black
2009 Ducati 848 Pearl White/Black
2004 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R Black
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 12:53 PM
SiR

I think it comes down to competition not being strong enough and consumers not having many other choices.
Often that's what it takes for companies to ramp up efforts otherwise its just slow improvements all to keep you buying.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

As I get to know Toyota and the C-HR, there are many decisions Toyota has made which makes absolutely no sense. And the drop in sales for North America is indicative of this. Let's focus on the C-HR. I don't understand why all the options available to overseas markets are not available here. Especially when the launch of the C-HR in North America was delayed by what 2 years from its initial launch?

Just imagine if we had even the fraction of the options other markets have? JBL sound system, automated parking, park distance sensors, AWD, manual transmission, LED head lights, hybrid power train, smart phone mirroring for the Touch 2 systems, and factory accessories such as tow hitch and hitch mounted bike racks. Those are the things I've discovered so far.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 06:18 PM
SiR

A newly refreshed Corolla came out which could do some good for Toyota's numbers. I've always seen more Corolla's than any other compacts on the street.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

I actually test drove the new refreshed 2019 Corolla hatchback. The car in general is pretty good for what it is. I in fact went into the Toyota dealership with shopping for the Corolla hatchback in mind. This was after test driving the 2018 Focus hatchback just prior to going to the Toyota dealership that day. While the seat was great in the Corolla compared to the Focus along with the standard features/amenities. The deal killer and why I ended up with the C-HR was the non existent trunk space. I tried to look up any numbers on how many cu ft the trunk is and not to my surprise, there isn't any number published. The only number I see is with the rear seats down. That should tell you something. I don't want a car where I have to drop the rear seats every time I have to transport something I bought from the store.

And I thought the trunk space with the Focus was on the smaller side. It's too bad the current hatchbacks I've seen so far are just not as practical as hatchbacks of the past. I loved my 06 Focus SE ZX3. A 2 door hatchback which had an ok rear seating area, decent front passenger/driver area, and a nice sized trunk without the need to drop the rear seats.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

As much as I like the styling of the new Corolla hatchback, I don't feel like its powertrain quite lives up to its sporty guise. There may be a chance of a GR or TRD model down the road, but its not exactly the hot hatch that Toyota has been marketing it to be. Also seen a lot of criticisms of rear seat space.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota C-HR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page