Best location for smartphone mount? - Toyota C-HR Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Best location for smartphone mount?

I'm a happy new owner of a 2019 C-HR Limited. But there's one thing I am not happy about - the difficulty in placing a smartphone mount.

In my previous car, a 2014 Corolla LE, I had used first a CD-slot mount until my car's radio died and I replaced it with a Kenwood with a hidden CD slot. Then, I went a top-of-dash mount that used an adhesive. The dash is a solid plastic so I wasn't worried about damage to the material.

But the C-HR's interior creates some issues.

- No CD, so no slot for that kind of mount.

- The AC vents are recessed, and too few of them, so I don't really want to use a vent-based and block the cool air. (I live in Houston, so AC is really important!)

- The top of the dash on the Limited trim is padded and softer than on the Corolla. I'd worry that eventually removing a dash-mount with adhesive would tear or discolor this material. I've experimented with windshield placement, but the glass slopes so much that anywhere I put it is view-obstructive.

- A cup holder mount would work, but that causes me to look down at the phone and is really not safe.

Yes, I have an iPhone and use CarPlay, and a lot of what I need is available on the infotainment screen as a result. But there are times when you also need to see the phone's screen (such as turn-by-turn directions on maps, which appear on the phone when the map is onscreen with CarPlay).

Any suggestions? Has anyone else solved this problem>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 09:41 PM

You at least have the car play. We with 2018 sucky radio have nothing but the phones.

Back to the topic, i tried mounts on the vens but they fall off or block heat/ac entirely. So getting a vent mount is out of question. I am thinking about getting a wireless charging mount that would stick on plastic next to the radio. Since the radio is small and technically useless in my opinion I can mount the phone up there. That way I can easily look at it when needs be without getting distracted
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

I do understand those of you all with 2018 models have the worst head units of us all. But at least you all have options which we 2019 owners appear to not have. At least you can replace your head unit with an aftermarket one which will give you Car Play and Android Auto. Metra has a kit to facilitate the conversion.

I'm in the situation where Car Play does nothing for me as I have an Android phone. If I have options to replace my head unit, I would have done it already.

2019 Toyota C-HR LE Silver Knockout Metallic
2013 BMW 135i Carbon Black
2009 Ducati 848 Pearl White/Black
2004 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Just found this mount which seems to be a very good solution:

https://www.proclipusa.com/product/8...p-angled-mount

$30.

Striker likes this.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 09:41 AM

That is a really good option and a great mounting location, thanks for posting. A note that this doesn't come with an actual device holder. Its just the mounting plate.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Yes. I'm considering getting it after all the extensive research I've done on phone mounts. And yes, it's just the mounting plate. They do sell a separate smart phone holder if you want to get one from them. Otherwise, there are a few pilot holes in the mounting plate to facilitate other mounts.

From what I've read, don't use any of the cup holder mounts for our cars as the cup holders are not perfectly round. This causes issues on stability and stress on the actual phone mount. One person tried twice to use a Belkin cup holder mount and both times the mount broke within a short period of time.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 10:02 AM

What about any of these universal magnetic mounts that just affix to the dash? I suppose the issue with the C-HR is trying to find a spot on this dash layout where its accessible and visible while you are driving. Apple Car Play and Android Auto can't come soon enough.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 01:13 PM

I put the magnet mount and taped it to the seatbelt/clock area.

2018 Toyota C-HR XLE Premium Magnetic Gray
Current: Blacksys CH200 Dashcam, Solargard UP Tint, LED Interior, OPT7 Color-Smart LED Strip Interior Footwell Lighting

Want: HID Headlight, LED Foglight, Android Auto HUD, Solar Sunshade

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Just found this mount which seems to be a very good solution:

https://www.proclipusa.com/product/8...p-angled-mount

$30.
Thanks for the suggestion, though I want the phone mounted closer to eye level - I'd rather not look down that low on the dash to see it.

And also thanks for the info about the phone cup holder - you're right, the cup holders aren't round.

I'll keep looking....
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

Some other options:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1PC-Car-HUD....c100935.m2460

https://cartrimhome.com/Mobile-Phone...mNv11dPHdWzjgk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota C-HR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in