HID Ground Wire Issue - Toyota C-HR Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

HID Ground Wire Issue

I recently installed the Morimoto Elite HID system onto my 2019 CHR. It went well and it looks great, but I am just now realizing that the ground wire that runs along the length of the bulb is showing. It looks like a shadow in the beam pattern, or a dead spot. From research, it looks like the wire should be facing directly down at 6 oclock. For these bulbs, they are facing either 10 oclock or 4 oclock. Anyone running similar bulbs and ran into this issue? What other HID brands are you guys running that do not have this ground wire shadow issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator

I have to see how my bulbs are oriented. But I haven't noticed any shadow or weird beam dispersion patterns. The kit I purchased is from Xenon Depot and are said to be Philips bulbs.

2019 Toyota C-HR LE Silver Knockout Metallic
2013 BMW 135i Carbon Black
2009 Ducati 848 Pearl White/Black
2004 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R Black
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I have to see how my bulbs are oriented. But I haven't noticed any shadow or weird beam dispersion patterns. The kit I purchased is from Xenon Depot and are said to be Philips bulbs.
Ok, would you mind sending me a link to the bulbs? And let me know the orientation of the bulbs. The ground wire shadow is very annoying lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
https://www.xenondepot.com/9012-HID-...xt-9012-rb.htm
Is it these? If they truly fit correctly with the ground wire facing down on both the drivers and passenger side, I might exchange my current bulbs with these. If you can let me know how they fit in the headlight housing, that would be extremely helpful!

Last edited by strikeblaze; Yesterday at 01:47 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:49 AM
Super Moderator

These are the bulbs in my kit:

https://www.xenondepot.com/9012-HID-...xt-9012-rb.htm

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Ok looks good, if they fit better than the Morimoto XB HID bulbs then I might pick these up as a replacement. If possible, let me know how they fit in your CHR.

Here is a pic I got from Google for reference. Even though it's an online photo, it looks practically identical to mine. The location of the shadow in the beam pattern is exactly where mine is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GroundShadow-Comparison.png
Views:	6
Size:	309.7 KB
ID:	5674  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

I checked my bulbs and if you're looking from the bulb end towards the back/connector, the ground wire is at about the 3 o'clock position. I'll have to wait till it gets dark to see if I'm seeing any shadow issues that you're experiencing. But up to this point, I haven't noticed anything odd.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I checked my bulbs and if you're looking from the bulb end towards the back/connector, the ground wire is at about the 3 o'clock position. I'll have to wait till it gets dark to see if I'm seeing any shadow issues that you're experiencing. But up to this point, I haven't noticed anything odd.
For both the driver and passenger? So the ground wire is basically parallel to the floor? As long as there is no issues with shadows, that seems better than what mine are currently at. One bulb is at like 10Oclock and the other is at 4 to 5 oclock. Let me know how the shadows look (if any).
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by strikeblaze View Post
For both the driver and passenger? So the ground wire is basically parallel to the floor? As long as there is no issues with shadows, that seems better than what mine are currently at. One bulb is at like 10Oclock and the other is at 4 to 5 oclock. Let me know how the shadows look (if any).
Yes. Both bulbs are identical as far as I can tell in being able to be inserted into the headlight assembly one way. I took a picture of my drive home in the dark. You can see no shadow and even distribution of lighting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191203_192552.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	5676  

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes. Both bulbs are identical as far as I can tell in being able to be inserted into the headlight assembly one way. I took a picture of my drive home in the dark. You can see no shadow and even distribution of lighting.
Oh wow, looks perfect and so much better than what's going on with mine. I am going to pick up a pair of these! Thanks so much for the help. I really appreciate your time!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota C-HR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page