Toyota C-HR Forum banner

CarPlay2Air option to add Android Auto

19K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Stan 
#1 ·
Apparently, those of us with the Entune 3.0 system might be able to add Android Auto without waiting on Toyota to get their head out of their backside. There's a thread going on the Toyota Nation 12th Gen Corolla forum about this:

https://www.toyotanation.com/thread...lable-for-2019-corolla.1667859/#post-14149880

Someone called them directly and the rep said it works seemlessly for all cars listed for wireless CarPlay but will also add Android Auto. The poster said he ordered it and will report back on if Android Auto indeed does work. He also stated there is a 15 day money back guarantee if it doesn't work.

If this does work, I'm not waiting for Toyota figure out which way is up and will order one myself. I'll be happy to support a company that fixes deficiencies from companies such as Toyota on something that should have been handled so much better.

Reactions: Striker
#4 ·
I'm good with that. Even with Toyota's factory Carplay support, it doesn't support wireless Carplay. From my understanding, Android Auto was just announced and is only available if you hack it to make it functional.

This is another situation where the dumb interior designers at Toyota fell asleep at the wheel by not locating the USB/Aux jack in the center console storage area with the 12V outlet. I'm thinking of maybe figuring out a way of relocating the jack assembly into the console storage/arm rest area where it should have been from the beginning.

Reactions: Striker
#5 ·
Almost Android Auto

Car: 2019 CH-R Limited US Spec
Phone: Pixel 3A XL
Android Ver 10
Sec Patch Level: 01-01-2020
CarPlay2Air FW Ver: 11.11

My CarPlay2Air hardware finally came to my APO after I ordered it back in the beginning of December. I just did a two hour round trip with the CarPlay2Air system going from my Work to Ramstein AFB.

Out of the box it will give you Android Auto on the infotainment screen as mentioned in other posts. Steering wheel controls however are hit and miss.

You can adjust the volume from the from the steering wheel still but that's all you can do at this point. Skipping tracks, initiating Google Assistant has to be done from touchscreen now. After you shift back into drive from reverse when the backup camera feed is disconnected you only have a black screen on the infotainment system. The only way to restore the CarPlay2Air feed is to disconnect and reconnect your phone from the USB port on the CarPlay2Air hardware. The resolution seems to be lower than what the phone by itself can do. There is also no audio notifications from Google Maps but the music volume does lower when the audio notification is supposed to be heard.

I have not updated to the latest firmware yet so maybe these issues will be resolved once I update.

#6 ·
Car: 2019 CH-R Limited US Spec
Phone: Pixel 3A XL
Android Ver 10
Sec Patch Level: 01-01-2020
CarPlay2Air FW Ver: 11.11

My CarPlay2Air hardware finally came to my APO after I ordered it back in the beginning of December. I just did a two hour round trip with the CarPlay2Air system going from my Work to Ramstein AFB.

Out of the box it will give you Android Auto on the infotainment screen as mentioned in other posts. Steering wheel controls however are hit and miss.

You can adjust the volume from the from the steering wheel still but that's all you can do at this point. Skipping tracks, initiating Google Assistant has to be done from touchscreen now. After you shift back into drive from reverse when the backup camera feed is disconnected you only have a black screen on the infotainment system. The only way to restore the CarPlay2Air feed is to disconnect and reconnect your phone from the USB port on the CarPlay2Air hardware. The resolution seems to be lower than what the phone by itself can do. There is also no audio notifications from Google Maps but the music volume does lower when the audio notification is supposed to be heard.

I have not updated to the latest firmware yet so maybe these issues will be resolved once I update.
Keep us posted. If the system operates satisfactorily, I may take the leap and buy this too.

#7 ·
Well after attempting to upgrade the firmware to the latest version it not longer works with my phone. It wants to activate the software but my phone does not connect to the unit via USB it is also slow to connect to the web interface of the unit. Been cE=_mailing their support but so far no lluck.

#9 ·
I thought about going this route. But you still have to get cellular service for it which is a recurring monthly charge that's going to be way more than the $150 for this product. I know you could turn your existing Android phone into a hot spot but this is an added headache which requires a few minutes to activate Car Play on the iPhone and then have the Android phone sharing it's cellular service.

I had thought about dealing with this headache since I have a iPod Touch. But stupid Apple didn't activate the feature on Touches.

#12 ·
Thanks for trying. This is such a shame. With how open the Android development world is, it's absolutely irritating there hasn't been a viable solution for any of us Android users. More to the point, the idiots at Toyota are creating this whole swirl that is totally unnecessary.

#13 ·
That and Entune 3.0 is based on Automotive Grade Linux so it should be little to no problem for Toyota USA to add Android Auto to the 2019 CH-R. The fact that Toyota USA only released one firmware update in 2019 for the CH-R is also frustrating. What really ticks me off is that the device mostly worked until the latest firmware update.

#14 ·
There's been all sorts of theories/banter being thrown around on the Toyota Nation forum. One says there is a difference in hardware even though exterior wise the head units are the same. Another said it's a licensing issue and Toyota would have to pay to get the 2019 models to be included. Regardless, it's stupid that there's all this speculation and Toyota is allowing/complicit with all this swirl. They just need to come clean with what is going on. I don't believe the hardware is different. There's no reason for a hardware change to just accommodate AA. Carplay is already there for the 2019 Entune 3.0 head units. The licensing issue is also bunk. If in fact there is a cost associated with licensing, then just pass it down to us owners. I'd gladly pay my share to get AA on my head unit.

And both speculations is just BS because Toyota of Australia was able to figure out all this mess and provide an AA upgrade to some models sold in Australia. If Toyota of Australia was able to figure it out, why can't the idiots at Toyota of North America do the same with a market several times larger than Australia.

As to the firmware updates, I recall at least 2 that my head unit went through. One was when I took delivery of my car. The second was when Alexa was added. I seem to recall maybe another firmware update between the first update and the Alexa update.

#15 ·
About the only thing I can do is use my Android for making calls hands free. When I tell it to send a text, it doesn't ask me what to send, it just give me a stupid list of responses!! Have any of you been able to send a verbal text?
I'm 69 years old. I have a Galaxy 9 but am seriously thinking about trading it for a darn iPhone which I've never used. It absolutely sucks to pay so much for this car and not be able to use the android. I would love a decent navigation system to give me directions to a location. Scout sucks! And when I'm connected via Bluetooth, I can't even use Google maps because the voice on my phone doesn't work or come across the speaker . I love my car but I'm also beginning to hate it. If any of you Android users have figured a way to tell the stupid thing to send a text please let me know. I'm so frustrated!! Especially when I'm riding with my boss and his iPhone. He can ask Siri anything, even to send a text or an email.

#18 ·
Cmon toyota get your things together!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.