Toyota C-HR Forum banner

2020 CHR - Android Auto Native

5K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  sho23 
#1 ·
:crying::crying::crying::crying::surprise: :surprise: :surprise::surprise::|:|:|:|:frown2: :frown2: :frown2::frown2:

Anyone, please try retrofitting a 2018 CHR with the new head unit with android auto.

"LE, XLE and Limited trims return, and all now get standard Android Auto smartphone compatibility,"

https://www.cars.com/articles/2020-toyota-c-hr-facelift-android-auto-410425/

Reactions: Striker
#2 ·
Retrofitting to 2018 will require more than just swapping the radio. You will need the hardware, that plastic trim/bezel at the top of radio, harness, and retrofitting the backup camera because on 2018 its setup in rearview mirror. So no, it will cost too much money and the car isn't worth it

#3 ·
I don't even know why you would consider sticking with the terrible factory Entune 3.0 head unit. With your 2018, you have a double DIN space in the dash. We 2019 and later do not. Because you have a double DIN, you have so many aftermarket choices for head units with both AA and Carplay that blow the factory head unit out of the water. Plus because your backup camera is not integrated into the head unit, you don't have to worry about that headache either when switching head units.

If my car is a 2018, I would have upgraded to an aftermarket head unit a long time ago.

#4 ·
I have the aftermarket unit sitting on a shelf right now, waiting for idatalink maestro to support the CHR. It's been a couple of years I doubt it.

The issue they've ran into is retaining the wheel control fully. I think someone in this forum did a partial success with it...

#5 ·
Some of the Android head units come with canbus that lets you use the steering wheel controls. Someone on the forum out Dasaita head unit in their 18 CHR and that came with all the required harness and canbuss. That particular head unit is plug and play, meaning you take out the oem radio and put that one in connecting to same cables you unplugged the oem radio from

#6 ·
Sigh... maybe i'll give it a shot again.

If you look at this old post (Toyota CHR 2018 -), Bilt from here was the first to work out the kinks with the idatalink folks. He used a corolla setting for it as a base I think... Here's what they found:

"data for the gauges and TPMS cannot be found at the OBD2 like in other Toyotas. We are working on finding an easily accessible place in the car to get these wires, and then we will update our coverage."
and

"The problem was the parking break status is not on the OBD2 connector like other Toyotas. I had to tap some other can bus connector to find parking break status. The parking break status is essential to run android auto among others. The app would not set up if the parking break is not detected set. At the end I just grounded the radio parking break sensing wire and has been working flawlessly. Also like Dara says I am not getting all the info that the Idatalink module is capable of reading, like doors status. However there are good number of parameters/gauges that are been read and display, like tire pressure and temp, coolant and oil temp, engine load, intake air temp, etc."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.