HID Install with DRLs - Toyota C-HR Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

HID Install with DRLs

I am picking up 9012 Morimoto Elite HIDs with the HD harness and anti-flicker capacitor and was worried about the DRLs conflicting with the HIDs. I read on forums that the DRLs will cause flickering or even cut power to the HIDs. This is caused by the car's light system pulsing voltage to stock bulbs to dim the lights to act as DRLs. Since our cars has a DRL on the side of the projector (independent of the headlights) I am not sure if this is an issue for us. Also, when the car is on Auto-Headlight mode, it might cause the HID to flicker or turn off when the engine turns on. For you guys who upgraded to HIDs, have you had any issues with this when you turn on your headlights? Also, will the supplied The Retrofit Source anti-flicker capacitor help to eliminate flickering if there is any?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

You don't need the anti flicker device. The DRLs on our cars are independent of the main headlights. If the headlights doubled as DRLs, then yes, the anti flicker device would be needed.

With regards to the HIDs cutting out when the headlights are set to auto on engine start up, I haven't noticed them cutting out. I've had mine installed since January. I'll pay closer attention the next time I start the car up at night. But I think I would have noticed something by now. But this can also be due to the additional relay harness I installed which came with my Xenon Depot kit. The relays are inserted between the stock headlight harness and HID ballast and wired into the battery.

2019 Toyota C-HR LE Silver Knockout Metallic
2013 BMW 135i Carbon Black
2009 Ducati 848 Pearl White/Black
2004 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R Black
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Today, 07:11 AM

While I haven't installed HID's on the CHR yet, the ones I have in my EDGE do sometimes cutout when starting the car at night with while on the auto setting. I noticed this more with the DDM cheap ballasts and not the better Morimoto ones.

All this means is that when you turn the key (push the button) the car wants to turn the headlights on right away but this occurs while the engine is cycling and draws power away from the ballasts while they are trying to fully ignite the bulbs. That draw of power away from the ballast may cause the faulty ignition of the bulb leaving you with one ore more headlights "out". I fit does happen all you would need to do is cycle the headlights to off and then back to auto and bam problem solved! Both headlights will illuminate as normal and you can enjoy the HID life!

It shouldn't happen that often but when it does it is a really simple fix. In my mind it's a minor drawback to have the clearer visions the HID's provide.
-Russ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota C-HR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in