Changed Headlights To HID - Toyota C-HR Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By zx10guy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Changed Headlights To HID

Hi all,

I installed my HID kit from a previous car in the C-HR. It is a 35w kit from Ollo, but I ordered 9012 5K bulbs from Amazon.

Installation was easy, truly Plug n Play. The ballasts are small and I zip tied them to the body frame. There is more than enough slack that the wires are tight so they do not bounce. But I may secure them more and wrap them in plastic wire loom. We've only had a couple hours of night driving with them so I'm curious if they change after the burn-in period. But as of right now they are pretty white.

My one concern is that when the bulb is locked and seated in the housing it is upside down. I'm gonna have to play with this to see if it affects the output.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5a4f6e0763aa9.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	370.5 KB
ID:	5558   Click image for larger version

Name:	HID Drivers_Side.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	5560   Click image for larger version

Name:	HID Passenger_Bulb.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	5562   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191005_091910.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	5564  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

I have the Xenon Depot 35W HID kit with 5k bulbs too. I haven't noticed any change in color or output from new till now. It's interesting your kit did not include the additional relays mine did. Although I could have installed the kit without the relays simplifying the install, Xenon Depot strongly recommended I use them. They're there to provide an additional layer of protection for the stock electrical system. On the mounting of the ballast, I chose to use some double sided tape and mounted the ballasts under the headlight assembly. There is a space under there which works perfectly for this and helps contribute to the stock install look I wanted to achieve. I'll take some pics of my install and you'd be hard pressed to know something aftermarket was installed unless you know exactly what you're looking for. Certainly a lay person wouldn't know.

As for the bulbs, they don't seem to be mounting upside down. Xenon Depot says they're Phillips sourced bulbs.

I've been saying for anyone who owns a C-HR, this mod should be the very first thing you do. I'm not talking about having a look in terms of the light the headlights produce. I'm talking about overall safety. The stock halogens are terrible and I would say is a safety hazard as you can't see much of anything with them. Even with the high beams, they were abysmal. The HIDs make a huge difference in the amount of night visibility you have. For those that haven't experienced a recent/modern lighting system (HID or LED), you won't appreciate the huge difference until you actually experience it.
meanmachine19 likes this.

2019 Toyota C-HR LE Silver Knockout Metallic
2013 BMW 135i Carbon Black
2009 Ducati 848 Pearl White/Black
2004 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R Black
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I have the Xenon Depot 35W HID kit with 5k bulbs too. I haven't noticed any change in color or output from new till now. It's interesting your kit did not include the additional relays mine did. Although I could have installed the kit without the relays simplifying the install, Xenon Depot strongly recommended I use them. They're there to provide an additional layer of protection for the stock electrical system. On the mounting of the ballast, I chose to use some double sided tape and mounted the ballasts under the headlight assembly. There is a space under there which works perfectly for this and helps contribute to the stock install look I wanted to achieve. I'll take some pics of my install and you'd be hard pressed to know something aftermarket was installed unless you know exactly what you're looking for. Certainly a lay person wouldn't know.

As for the bulbs, they don't seem to be mounting upside down. Xenon Depot says they're Phillips sourced bulbs.

I've been saying for anyone who owns a C-HR, this mod should be the very first thing you do. I'm not talking about having a look in terms of the light the headlights produce. I'm talking about overall safety. The stock halogens are terrible and I would say is a safety hazard as you can't see much of anything with them. Even with the high beams, they were abysmal. The HIDs make a huge difference in the amount of night visibility you have. For those that haven't experienced a recent/modern lighting system (HID or LED), you won't appreciate the huge difference until you actually experience it.

After installing the HIDs were the light output cut off as clean as the halogens were? For example, the top of the light beam, there usually is a clean line with the stock halogens. I want to get HIDs installed, but I am worried that because of the halogen projectors, light would be thrown in every direction. I know LEDs have this issue with projectors where the light output isnt as focused and gets thrown in random directions. I've heard that HIDs run fine and still retain the same focus and cut off as halogens, just tons brighter. Is this true?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by strikeblaze View Post
After installing the HIDs were the light output cut off as clean as the halogens were? For example, the top of the light beam, there usually is a clean line with the stock halogens. I want to get HIDs installed, but I am worried that because of the halogen projectors, light would be thrown in every direction. I know LEDs have this issue with projectors where the light output isnt as focused and gets thrown in random directions. I've heard that HIDs run fine and still retain the same focus and cut off as halogens, just tons brighter. Is this true?
Yes. In my case, it's very true. I think others who have converted to HIDs will say the same. For comparisons, my other car is a BMW 135i. It has factory HIDs. The performance of the HID retrofit in my C-HR is on par with the BMW factory set up.

As an aside, I had the outer headlight assemblies on both of my cars clear vinyl wrapped. So far, it's been great at preserving the light performance from the headlights. It's amazing the gradual degradation of the optics due to pitting and possible plastic hazing even with a garage kept car. My BMW was involved in a deer strike last year. Both headlight assemblies had to be replaced. When I got my car back from the body shop, I immediately noticed the new headlights were brighter. And this wasn't due to new bulbs being put in. The body shop said they transferred the old HID bulbs to the new housings.

2019 Toyota C-HR LE Silver Knockout Metallic
2013 BMW 135i Carbon Black
2009 Ducati 848 Pearl White/Black
2004 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R Black
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

I will also say yes, it's true and the cutoff is more visible due to the increased light output. I think the issue with some LED bulbs is that the light it creates is not perfectly 360 so there are some hot spots.

You will not be disappointed with the lighting upgrade.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
I will also say yes, it's true and the cutoff is more visible due to the increased light output. I think the issue with some LED bulbs is that the light it creates is not perfectly 360 so there are some hot spots.

You will not be disappointed with the lighting upgrade.
Awesome! Have you had any issues with the auto on/off feature for the headlights with HIDs? I heard that for other cars that has this feature, when starting the car, the light turns on before the engine cranks and when it does, the voltage fluctuations cause the HIDs to flash or flicker, potentially causing damage.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by strikeblaze View Post
Awesome! Have you had any issues with the auto on/off feature for the headlights with HIDs? I heard that for other cars that has this feature, when starting the car, the light turns on before the engine cranks and when it does, the voltage fluctuations cause the HIDs to flash or flicker, potentially causing damage.
Sorry, I don't use the Auto On/Off feature. I'm old school and turn the knob on and off every time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota C-HR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page