Radio Replacement with Dasaita Android Head Unit - Toyota C-HR Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Radio Replacement with Dasaita Android Head Unit

I'm looking to replace the horrible factory radio in my 2018 USDM CHR. I want a headhunt with capacitive touch, Apple CarPlay or phone mirroring and extensible with apps.

Enter...Android head units. Specifially, this one from Dasaita. Hardware specs are overkill, but the best part about this HU is that it runs Android OS. And it's very well documented what you can do with an Android device in a car. Engine monitoring, TPMS, open door alerts, diagnostics, custom skins and launchers etc.

Has anyone installed a HU like this in their CHR? What are some drawbacks to this HU? What's required to install to get the steering wheel controls, backup camera, and factory USB port to work?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CHR_android_2.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	487.5 KB
ID:	5052   Click image for larger version

Name:	HTB1lnmvoRsmBKNjSZFFq6AT9VXa7.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	328.9 KB
ID:	5054  

Last edited by nw.r; 10-10-2018 at 11:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Measurements

I contacted the manufacturer and they told me it would work in a US model CHR as long as the dimensions are 13cm. There are apparently two different dimensions for the factory radio: 13cm and 15cm.

They asked me to measure and confirm but I'm not entirely sure where to measure as the pictures aren't entirely clear. And with 2 cm difference, I'm sure some trimming can be done to make it fit.

I also found a video of a smilier Android HU made by the same manufacturer installed in a 2017 Rav 4. It looks like it will come with everything needed to make the steering wheel controls, backup camera and factory USB to work. With additional 2 USB ports for Android Auto and CarPlay (with adapter sold separately).

If this headhunt fits, it would be the perfect HU for me and for under $400.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dasaita_HU_measurement.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	5060  
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if that USB/AUX adapter will work since there's no USB adapter on the back of the radio. So they may have excluded that for a reason.

Sir Boofuls...if you can confirm when you get yours, that would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

So I found that not only did they forget to send me the canbus and the USB adapter, but they sent me the wrong wiring harness. So until I receive all the right pieces from them, I made some progress don everything else.

Made some progress:

1. Transferred the clock from the OEM shroud to the new head unit. It was trickier than I thought and you have be careful not to break or open the casing of the clock. You don't want to remove the white cover form the clock, instead you want to pry the entire unit out of the shroud.

2. I ran the microphone from the roof near the dome light to the the glovebox. The microphone's cable is about 1' short so I'm going to have to buy an extension cable so it can reach the radio. Also, I'm thinking about disassembling the mic and retrofitting it int he OEM location for a stealth look. For now, it's resting on the rear view mirror.

I attached some pics to show progress.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5664.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	5104   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5665.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	5106   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5667.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	5108   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5668.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	5110   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5672.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	5112  

Name:	IMG_5670.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	5114   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5669.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	5118  
Attached Images

post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 10:08 PM

Garage
yea, i ordered from the same company. I should get my stuff in the next couple of days and i let you know.

Sir Boofuls Quote "What can I Mod Today"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 07:12 PM

Garage
Finally got my unit in, look sweet. Everything came with the head unit, out side the adventure with a blown fuse and working at night the install was super easy. First make sure it grounded to the car, after that just plug in the cables. I ran all the cable for GPS, mic and WIFI to the center dome light. I just bought a audio extension for the mic just make sure you get a 6 foot one, than ran the cables up the passenger side to the A pillar to the center dome, their i swapped the guts of the factory mic for the new one. GPS cable was done the same and then mounted to the car roof in the dome light space. WIFI was the same bought a 10 foot extension cable with adapters for the unit and antenna, will go back later when i order the parts to get a bigger antenna(maybe powered too). I ran the 2 usb cable to the drivers side switch panel and plugged into a 2 port switch for a Toyota chr. Now i have the factory one in the center and the other two for either usb jump drive or GPS USB dongle or any thing else. I am going to add at a later date 2 power USB plugs to the passenger side for who ever need to charge a phone. All i got left is to add the backup camera to the unit and go through the settings.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181119_164244.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	5126   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181119_164153.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	5128   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181119_164127.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	5130  
FlightRN likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 08:03 PM

Garage
Update, I might be wait for a new can-bus module I think they sent the wrong one to me. I cant get any info from the system for tpms and other stuff. I know i can get a obd dongle to get most of it, but the reason i when with this unit had all of that together for a good price.

As a side note i got in my hood gas springs in and installed, now the hood will stay up with on it own with no stick yea.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181121_113036.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	5136   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181121_113039.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	5138   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181121_113051.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	318.2 KB
ID:	5140  

post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 05:57 PM

Garage
here is the link on ebay for the usb plug to fit the switch plate on the drivers side. https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-TOYOTA-...t/292776127537

my speakers work fine with the correct harness, the only issue i have is that the canbus sent with mine does not show the tpms info or other system info. but i got a OBD2 reader coming in that is blue tooth coming in, plus a swap for the wrong canbus they sent.

I am going to add a second charging usb to the passanger side in the glove box by cutting the back of the glove box to mount the power usb and the 2 port usb for the radio. Oh, before i forget you can put in 128gb sd card to the side slot for the offline maps and other stuff(music, movies and others). With that installed i have the system 32gb plus 128gb before i add anything else. i know the max storage drives you can add to the system is 2 not including the system 32gb.

Now the hard part is install all the apps and getting the system the way i want it.

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

I was thinking you were using a dual-USB extension that plugs into the OEM port. But it looks like it's just for power and no data. I need it to be a usb extension so it can interface with the radio when I plug devices in.

I have an OBD2 reader in my car already and paired it. However, none of the apps can see any of the functions on the car. I think I just need to wait for the correct harness and Canbus to come in before it will work. It should arrive next Tuesday!

I currently have a 64gb card in my radio. How do you get offline maps to install on the micro SD card as opposed to the on board storage? I'm a Youtube Red subscriber and was able to download my playlist to the radio, but I can't seem to find where to modify the save location.

Some quirks I've noticed is that it does not pair to my phone's hotspot automatically. But I think that's more of an issue with my phone. I leave mobile hotspot on and the radio doesn't auto-pair. So I have to go to the settings on my phone and toggle wifi off/on on the radio and it will pair with my phone.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 08:59 PM

Garage
sorry, here is the link to aliexpress site that has the usb data switch.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/USB-...7c642e0eVQjO5a

as for the storage thing, their is a setting under storage to install to SD card instead of the main storage. then you can down load offline maps to the backup SD.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota C-HR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page