Upgrade? from LED to HID - Toyota C-HR Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Upgrade? from LED to HID

It is always a popular topic to discuss which one is better, LED or HID. There are many brands of HID and LED in the market, some of those work great; nonetheless, some of them don't. Unfortunately, so far I haven't found any aftermarket LED can compare to HID especially driving in a blizzard. So, for a person who travels to Upper BC & AB often, a good snow vision is essential. That's why I decided to "upgrade" from LED to HID.

I did both of the headlights and the foglights, and I like the engine bay looks like nothing happened. So I removed the front bumper. It's NOT necessary, just helps the job smoothly.

First Step: Remove front bumper.
A.Pop up the hood, remove the plastic cover(Photo 1)
B.Unscrew the screws behind the grille(Photo 2)
C.Unscrew the screws under the bumper(Photo 3)
D.Unscrew the screws on the side bumper protectors.(Photo 4)
E.NOTICE!!! Turn this tiny screw for 90 degrees, then take it off.(Photo 5)
F.Take out the side protectors.(Photo 6)
G.Pull the bumper out. (Photo 7)
H.Take out ACC sensor wire and fog lights wires, then take off the bumper. (Photo 8&8.1)
I. Put the bumper in a safe place.

Second Step. Install the HID kit for Fog lights.
A. Turn the OEM bulbs counterclockwise and take them out. (Photo 9)
B. Put the HID bulbs in and turn clockwise, make sure it is tight enough.
C. Connect the HID bulbs to the ballast, then connect the power cable on come with the kit to the ballast.(Photo 10)
D. Find a perfect place to install the Ballast(Photo 11)
F. Connect the power source to the OEM plug.

Third Step: Install the HID kit for Headlights.
There is a reserved whole designed for ballast under the headlights
A.Paste the ballast to the reserved whole. (Photo 12)
B.Do the exact same things like the procedure of fog light.

Fourth Step: Put everything back on. Then
You Are Good To GO!!!!!

To sum up, the HIDs are at least two times brighter than Halogen or AFTERMARKET LED kit. It is no doubt that OEM LED is brighter than HID now. But lots of the aftermarket LED kit, no matter how much lumens, it is still darker than a regular 35W HID kit. Hope this thread can help the beginner of C-HR to install your HID kit perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 1.png
Views:	374
Size:	641.0 KB
ID:	2090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 2.png
Views:	398
Size:	602.4 KB
ID:	2098   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 3.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	2106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 4.png
Views:	316
Size:	553.6 KB
ID:	2114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 5.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	2122  

Name:	Photo 6.png
Views:	319
Size:	632.6 KB
ID:	2130   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 7.png
Views:	331
Size:	626.6 KB
ID:	2138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 8.png
Views:	387
Size:	584.2 KB
ID:	2146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 8.1.png
Views:	352
Size:	632.6 KB
ID:	2154   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 9.png
Views:	354
Size:	558.3 KB
ID:	2162  

TubeMan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Photo 9~12
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Photo 9.png
Views:	262
Size:	558.3 KB
ID:	2170   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 10.png
Views:	257
Size:	646.8 KB
ID:	2178   Click image for larger version

Name:	Phto 11.png
Views:	288
Size:	609.2 KB
ID:	2186   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 12.png
Views:	286
Size:	726.9 KB
ID:	2194   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-12-10 at 6.35.42 PM.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	2202  

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-12-10 at 6.35.55 PM.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	2210  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 09:35 PM

Garage
Nice. Thank you. I am planning on doing my fog lights next. Just did the HID install on my headlights, I don't like the yellowish tint of the factory halogen bulb. Great pictures. I am still not 100% comfortable on taking the bumper off, but you make it look easy.

2018 C-HR "RedFox" XLE Premium.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 08:55 AM

you're a braver person than me for taking out the whole bumper. which HID headlight kit did you use?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubeMan View Post
you're a braver person than me for taking out the whole bumper. which HID headlight kit did you use?
I used the Kensun 35W HID kit, not bad for the price. But their 9006/9012 kit doesn't fit, you'll have to order two 9012 bulbs extra. I was part-time in a garage when I was in university though...

Last edited by erichsieh22; 12-16-2017 at 01:42 PM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 05:27 AM

Garage
Agree he is brave to remove that bumper. I just ordered a hitch, and I am dreading the need to remove the back lower fascia to install it. but it must be done.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 01:48 PM

Garage
@jadehawk did u ordered a hitch to H-Haul? or any other company? because im gonna need one eventually

2018 Toyota C-HR XLE. Ruby Flare Pearl
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichsieh22 View Post
It is always a popular topic to discuss which one is better, LED or HID. There are many brands of HID and LED in the market, some of those work great; nonetheless, some of them don't. Unfortunately, so far I haven't found any aftermarket LED can compare to HID especially driving in a blizzard. So, for a person who travels to Upper BC & AB often, a good snow vision is essential. That's why I decided to "upgrade" from LED to HID.

I did both of the headlights and the foglights, and I like the engine bay looks like nothing happened. So I removed the front bumper. It's NOT necessary, just helps the job smoothly.

First Step: Remove front bumper.
A.Pop up the hood, remove the plastic cover(Photo 1)
B.Unscrew the screws behind the grille(Photo 2)
C.Unscrew the screws under the bumper(Photo 3)
D.Unscrew the screws on the side bumper protectors.(Photo 4)
E.NOTICE!!! Turn this tiny screw for 90 degrees, then take it off.(Photo 5)
F.Take out the side protectors.(Photo 6)
G.Pull the bumper out. (Photo 7)
H.Take out ACC sensor wire and fog lights wires, then take off the bumper. (Photo 8&8.1)
I. Put the bumper in a safe place.

Second Step. Install the HID kit for Fog lights.
A. Turn the OEM bulbs counterclockwise and take them out. (Photo 9)
B. Put the HID bulbs in and turn clockwise, make sure it is tight enough.
C. Connect the HID bulbs to the ballast, then connect the power cable on come with the kit to the ballast.(Photo 10)
D. Find a perfect place to install the Ballast(Photo 11)
F. Connect the power source to the OEM plug.

Third Step: Install the HID kit for Headlights.
There is a reserved whole designed for ballast under the headlights
A.Paste the ballast to the reserved whole. (Photo 12)
B.Do the exact same things like the procedure of fog light.

Fourth Step: Put everything back on. Then
You Are Good To GO!!!!!>[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.toyotachrforum.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]>[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.toyotachrforum.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

To sum up, the HIDs are at least two times brighter than Halogen or AFTERMARKET LED kit. It is no doubt that OEM LED is brighter than HID now. But lots of the aftermarket LED kit, no matter how much lumens, it is still darker than a regular 35W HID kit. Hope this thread can help the beginner of C-HR to install your HID kit perfectly. >[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.toyotachrforum.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]>[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.toyotachrforum.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Any idea if it would be easier to swap out the fog lights by removing the shroud below the engine compartment? Of course assuming that one had access to a lift or perhaps a set of ramps? I don't even know what is required to remove the engine compartment cover... I just assume it's a few screws....
Thanx in advance!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 01:27 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanitoal100 View Post
@jadehawk did u ordered a hitch to H-Haul? or any other company? because im gonna need one eventually
Got it from etrailer.com. [https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer_Hit...ite/24962.html ] It should arrive today 12/12/2017. And plan on installing it with the help of a friend on Saturday.

Last edited by jadehawk; 12-21-2017 at 01:30 AM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 01:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by erichsieh22 View Post
I used the Kensun 35W HID kit, not bad for the price. But their 9006/9012 kit doesn't fit, you'll have to order two 9012 bulbs extra. I was part-time in a garage when I was in university though...
Are you saying that Both Headlights and Fog lights use the same 9012 Bulb?

I did my headlights and used a 9012 HID kit, but I don't know what bulb is used for the fog lights.. TIA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota C-HR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in