Toyota C-HR Forum banner

Locking doors while vehicle is warming up...

22K views 33 replies 12 participants last post by  timothylee14 
#1 ·
I live in Ohio. Getting cold here... Until I get a remote start system installed, does anyone know how I can start the car, exit and lock the doors so someone can't hop in and drive away? I see no way of doing this.... Seems crazy to me I can't warm up the car without concern...

#2 ·
You could always try turning on your car, exiting with your key and locking the doors. Do it as a test at home to see how far from the car you can go. I don't think the car turns off without a key in the cabin so you should be able to run out, start the car, and run back inside the house with your key.

#4 ·
I'm still old school so I call all fobs keys, I meant use the fob and take it outside of the car. Cars shouldn't turn off when the fob has been removed from its vicinity. I would know because my friend somehow drove without one and had to Uber back for the spare after turning off her car.

#5 ·
Thanx Tubeman, but the vehicle won't let you lock the doors from outside with the fob while the vehicle is running! It's making me nuts and it's just getting colder and colder... Snows gonna fall soon and I'll need to sit in the vehicle until it's warmed up... Blah!

#6 ·
SOLVED. Ok. Just I case anyone wants to know... Start the vehicle, get out and lock the doors with the physical key (turn counter-clockwise). Doors will indeed lock while it's running. Only caveat is that the fob will no longer unlock the doors... You need the physical key again to unlock. Fob will work normally after this routine...

#10 · (Edited)
Just checked out the 12volt solutions installation process on YouTube for the 4runner (chr video isn't available... Although I requested it). Looks incredibly painless and non destructive. You don't even have to open the hood to install. It's all done under dash.
Anyone know anything about this company? I'm seriously considering their product... Just not sure about quality control. A miswired harness could prolly do some significant electrical damage....
Installation pdf can be viewed here... https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1705/6595/files/Toyo-TL8-2.1_2p_Guide.pdf?1059669228842735929

#12 ·
First one to make a Video for us will get the kit for half off!

The 4Runner video was submitted by a customer. He is also making one for his wife's Sienna. The C-HR install process is actually easier than the 4Runner. You can follow that video and it'll guide you through. The only difference is that the C-HR doesn't use the OBD2 connector. There are only TWO connectors that you need to access, and the install should take you no more than 30 minutes.. We do them in under 15. H-key version is on the works, along with all the other H-key kits. The push button start version is available for order and will be shipping around the 25th (the TacomaWorld community bought 3 months of our inventory in 28 days.. completely wiped us out. More are being made as I type).

#16 ·
Placed an order today at 12volt.solutions.com. I'll update everyone with the outcome as soon as the remote start arrives around the end of the month (Nov, 2017). Hopefully all will go well...Either way, I plan on making a video during the install process so all will see the ultimate outcome.
You might wanna take a look again on their website cause they have just added an additional module (plug and play also), that interfaces with the basic remote start module and allows you to start the car from anywhere via your cell phone ($140 add-on as of this writing- regular price = $ 249 or so the site states). Subscription required for this feature..$70/yr.
Fingers crossed!

#17 ·
Hey Guys!
They have a referral program too! If you order one from them, please let them know that I, DrZeus (or the awesome dude who referred ME to the site-HRH), that you heard it from us!!! We will get $15 bucks if you make a purchase! Thanx for the the lead HRH!!!

#22 · (Edited)
12Volt.solutions.com Install

Just recd and installed the 12volt Solutions remote start module. Eazy Peazy (once you figure out where the connections are and how to access them). Kudos to Clay at 12voltSolutions for answering any questions promptly.
I'm pretty non-mechanic, but I do know electrical systems pretty well and I'm quite pleased so far. It works well out of the box with everything included...the system is dependent on the rf range of the stock key FOB and mine is pretty petty even with a new 2032 battery. I can start it remotely, consistently, from probably a 30 foot, unobstructed range...anything in the way (like a wall...forget it) That's Toyota's problem, not 12Volt Solutions. Anyway, I will probably upgrade to the SmartStart system so I can start from virtually anywhere with my cell...
I recorded some video during the install and I may get it posted on youtube at some point. Its pretty cold here and I was in a hurry. Not sure if its concise enuff to bother.
Still quite pleased with this remedy...Any questions, just ask!
Been there! Done That!

#25 ·
Just upgraded the 12volt.solutions remote start system with the smartstart module. Simple one plug installation. 12volt solutions needs to do some stuff on their end once it's installed. Works AWESOME so far! I can set a schedule to remote start if the temp is below a designated degree. Lock and unlock the doors...And I can start it from virtually anywhere that has cell phone signal! 12volt.solutions.com has told me that they are offering a 10% off discount to forum and facebook members! Use code CHR10 at checkout! SWEET!!!

#26 ·
Hey DrZeus, It's been a while so I just wanted to follow up on how the system was working for you? Just picked up my a 2019 for my wife and was surprised that there is no factory remote start option.... also surprised that there are no cloth heated seats but that's another topic.

Have you had any issues with this kit? Since it's plug and play too I'm sure you could uninstall before going back to the dealer, but any warranty issues because of this unit?

Thanks,
-Russ

#28 ·
Well, I jumped in and bought one, and installed it this weekend. It couldn’t have taken more than 15 minutes. Your installation video was paramount, thank you!

So far, my only complaint with the unit is that when you remote start the vehicle, there is no way to get in it without it turning off. So once you get in, you have to re-start it again. Not the end of the world, but annoying nonetheless.
I wonder if that could ever be re-programmed with a firmware update by Toyota/12Volt?

#29 ·
I saw that... so is this the right order?

- remote start
- car turns on
- you walk to the car
- opens door
- car dies

??