Locking doors while vehicle is warming up... - Toyota C-HR Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

I live in Ohio. Getting cold here... Until I get a remote start system installed, does anyone know how I can start the car, exit and lock the doors so someone can't hop in and drive away? I see no way of doing this.... Seems crazy to me I can't warm up the car without concern...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 09:13 AM

You could always try turning on your car, exiting with your key and locking the doors. Do it as a test at home to see how far from the car you can go. I don't think the car turns off without a key in the cabin so you should be able to run out, start the car, and run back inside the house with your key.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubeMan View Post
You could always try turning on your car, exiting with your key and locking the doors. Do it as a test at home to see how far from the car you can go. I don't think the car turns off without a key in the cabin so you should be able to run out, start the car, and run back inside the house with your key.
Thanx for the suggestion Tubeman. Are you suggesting that I use the old-time, physical key to lock the doors after starting and exiting? Hmmm... Didn't try that! I'll try later tonight! Thanx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 09:05 AM

I'm still old school so I call all fobs keys, I meant use the fob and take it outside of the car. Cars shouldn't turn off when the fob has been removed from its vicinity. I would know because my friend somehow drove without one and had to Uber back for the spare after turning off her car.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubeMan View Post
I'm still old school so I call all fobs keys, I meant use the fob and take it outside of the car. Cars shouldn't turn off when the fob has been removed from its vicinity. I would know because my friend somehow drove without one and had to Uber back for the spare after turning off her car.
Thanx Tubeman, but the vehicle won't let you lock the doors from outside with the fob while the vehicle is running! It's making me nuts and it's just getting colder and colder... Snows gonna fall soon and I'll need to sit in the vehicle until it's warmed up... Blah!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

SOLVED. Ok. Just I case anyone wants to know... Start the vehicle, get out and lock the doors with the physical key (turn counter-clockwise). Doors will indeed lock while it's running. Only caveat is that the fob will no longer unlock the doors... You need the physical key again to unlock. Fob will work normally after this routine...
TubeMan likes this.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 07:34 PM
HRH

Thanks, Anyway, Did you see that? https://www.12volt.solutions/product...start-kit-v2-1

2018 Toyota CHR XLE
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 08:48 AM

The physical key method is a pain but better than sitting outside I suppose.
Would that kit work for the C-HR and have you tried it?
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 04:51 PM

$289.99 for a remote start kit isn't too bad, don't automakers charge more than that? If it's proven to work, then it may be a worthy investment or those of you in colder climates.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Just checked out the 12volt solutions installation process on YouTube for the 4runner (chr video isn't available... Although I requested it). Looks incredibly painless and non destructive. You don't even have to open the hood to install. It's all done under dash.
Anyone know anything about this company? I'm seriously considering their product... Just not sure about quality control. A miswired harness could prolly do some significant electrical damage....
Installation pdf can be viewed here... https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/17...69228842735929

Last edited by DrZeus; 11-05-2017 at 11:49 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota C-HR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page