Headlight Upgrade...LED? - Toyota C-HR Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Headlight Upgrade...LED?

Hey Everyone!
I just ordered these...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza
DESCRIPTION: LIGHTENING DARK 10000 Lumens Ultra Bright 9012 LED Headlight Bulbs,Philips TX1860 Chip Conversion Kit,6000K Cool White - 3 Yr Warranty.
I hope I didn't err in doing so...Does anyone know if theses type of bulbs are compatible? Our Vehicles use a HIR2 9012 bulb (stock) and I find them to be completely inadequate on my commute as I live in deer country and drive ALOT in the dark...
I'm not sure how our Auto HIGH/LOW beam systems work as there only seems to be one element in the 9012's.
I also keep AHB on all the time (Auto High Beam)...
Any thoughts?

Last edited by DrZeus; 07-31-2017 at 06:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Am I the only one that finds the high beams inadequate? Previous ride was a Ford edge.... Maybe the height difference is the reason? I don't think the reflectors were much higher on the edge...
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 10:55 AM

Were you able to install it? Can I take a look at it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Marti, I should be receiving it tomorrow. Not really sure how it's gonna work out... Best I can tell there is no hi/low beam on these things... Just 10000 lumens all the time. I'm not sure I like that idea. I'm also not sure what happens when I try to brighten or dim them. I guess it's not gonna hurt to see what happens? I understand that some vehicles had a shutter that comes down over the bulb when on low beam... Not sure if ours does that... Or if it just changes voltage to the bulbs... Will report back... I hope with good news ?
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 04:01 PM

Let us know if this installation works out.
I've already upgraded my headlights to a Hylux HID system with a 5500K Hid Bulbs. I've currently noticed a increase in brightness at about 35-40% but to get 90-95% increase in brightness over stock id have to run aftermarket projectors.

Prior to installing these I had my headlight retrofitter take a look at the the CHR's headlights to see if we could do an LED conversion. He told me that the stock projectors would not disperse light from an LED bulb efficiently and over scatter the beam therefore causing less visibility and also blind on coming traffic. He recommended to retrofit projector designed for LED to properly run LED bulbs but even then he believes HID is still superior to that of LED in terms of brightness.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Well, I got them installed. Still daylight so I'm not sure about the brightness... Look blindingly bright to me even on low beam....I'm an idiot, I looked directly into the center of the projector lens. Ouch. Yes.... Our vehicles have a shutter that comes down over the bulb in low beam so these still work with auto brightness. Yay! I'll find out in my morning commute how it goes and will report back. I must report that the 9012 version seems to be slightly oversized as the smallest "wing" of the 3 tabs that hold it in the fixture is too big. I actually broke on of the retaining rings trying to get it into place... Hope I can buy just the ring and not the entire assembly... That would hurt...
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 06:00 PM

So here is my experience LED kit's in my CHR, like nextcore stated led doesn't disperse light through the factory projectors like HID's do. I ordered an LED Kit from allxenon.com which was their Xenon LED kit ($100) once I got them in I noticed that their were really compact in size and overall a good fitment but the unfortunate part to them is that they aren't as bright on the car itself. I did a little more research and I noticed that its a really common issue with cars with factory projectors and even the morimoto led kit still doesn't make the cut (I also heard that the their led bulbs are really bulky for most fitments)
so with that first experience I decided to just get HID's. I ordered a 6000k 35w hylux kit from the same place (allxenon.com) and really happy with the outcome. HID's are much brighter and give you more distance compared to the LED kit a previously used. A much better kit compared to some of my previous kits and quality its amazing.

Hope this info helps.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 03:21 PM

so the projector lens and all other associated equipment is still the same with the HID kit? You were able to plug and play the kit or was there any other things that had to be added?
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

FYI, the LEDs didn't work out so well in my CHR. Probably because of the projector lense as nextcore stated above. There was a dead spot towards the center of line of vision. I ordered some HIDs cheap from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1, they are much better so far. Only had them installed for a week, not certain about the bulb life...
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 09:04 PM

I did both LED for headlight and fog lights, Iím happy with the results.
SiR likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota C-HR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page