New fog light questions - Toyota C-HR Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

New fog light questions

I am still thinking about the purchase of a 2019 xle. All that I have looked at do not have fog lights. Looking on ebay, no one has an oem kit for the 2019. I have contacted a couple of sellers and they indicate that Toyota does not list one. What am I missing? Someone suggested that the wiring harness might already be there. One dealer I contacted wants $670 to add it to the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

I'd be highly surprised if the fog light kit for the 2018 model is any different for 2019. Here is a thread on this forum where a member went through the install process:

https://www.toyotachrforum.com/forum...a-version.html

Looking through the write up and the instruction sheet with the kit, it does appear there is already a harness there in front of each wheel arch to connect the fog lights. This is why I plan on getting the factory kit versus an aftermarket one. I also plan on installing it myself saving $400 in labor which I think it pretty ridiculous for this kit.

But if you are to make a mod to any lighting, the very first thing I would do is install a HID kit to get rid of the stock halogen headlights. The cost is less in terms of the parts needed and the install is pretty straight forward. Took me about 2 to 3 hours and that's because I was particular with wanting the install to be as factory as possible. Which meant figuring out routing the wires along existing factory wiring and mounting of the relay and ballast where again, it would be factory. Now that I know where to run and mount things, the install would take at most an hour taking my time. The benefits of going HID are immediate and more dramatic than adding the fogs.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 08:44 PM
SiR

Sadly these lack of factory features are part of the game automakers play so every year there's something "new"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 12:47 PM

Odds are the kit is the exact same for the 2019 models. The cost is so high because the install involves removing the whole front bumper. If you have a look up on Amazon its being advertised as being compatible for both MY's. https://www.amazon.com/Toyota-Non-Ha.../dp/B071WSQ4YY
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Reading through the installation instructions, I think you can do it without removing the front bumper. I think all you need to do is to drop the plastic cover on each corner of the car which should give you enough access to everything. The blanking covers are only screwed on. And why I'm opting to do the factory kit is it appears Toyota has the wiring harness already there for the fog lights to connect to. I think the toughest part is going to be pulling down the lower dash panel and wiring in/installing the fog light switch.

2019 Toyota C-HR LE Silver Knockout Metallic
2013 BMW 135i Carbon Black
2009 Ducati 848 Pearl White/Black
2004 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R Black
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

I did end up buying a c-hr. Part of the deal was I wanted Toyota fog lights installed. Ended up costing me $200 for this. I feel this was a good deal.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

Which fog lights did you get? There are two fog lights floating around as OE kits. One is the standard halogen H11 fog light set. The other is LED which is being used on the 2019 Limited version.

2019 Toyota C-HR LE Silver Knockout Metallic
2013 BMW 135i Carbon Black
2009 Ducati 848 Pearl White/Black
2004 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R Black
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

They are the standard halogen set.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 12:05 AM
SiR

I think it would be cool if someone turned these fogs into switch backs that also act as turn signals.
It won't be a function for everyone but done right I think it can enhance the CH-R's character all while looking like it belonged from day one.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:53 AM

Garage
I ordered a $50 fog light kit off of Amazon. Took a few hours to install, but it was pretty **** easy. Jack the front of the car up, remove the splash guards under the front bumper, remove OEM fog light caps, and install new foglights. I also removed the front driver side wheel and wheel well insert, and ran the wiring harness up the side of the frame on that side. I did not want to tap the factory wiring harness (because RIP warranty), so I just ran these lights on their own relay. Switch installs in one of the OEM switch hubs on the left of the steering wheel. Button up all the splash guards and wheel wells, zip tie the wiring into place and out of sight, and you're golden. I also wrapped the fog light lens in a yellow headlight tint.

Unfortunate part is that I now have one cracked foglight housing, after taking a little trip from Tampa to New Smyrna Beach. My guess is a lovetap from some limestone or something (our roads in FL are TRASH). So now I have to find out where I can order one housing and go through the process all over again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota C-HR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page