12v Solutions Remote Car Starter for C-HR??? - Toyota C-HR Forum
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By DrZeus

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

12v Solutions Remote Car Starter for C-HR???

I was looking around and found the these guys offer a remote start for the C-HR. It looks like its just a harness that uses the door lock remote button to run the remote start. Just wanted to know if anyone had one????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 06:04 PM

Hey mersh75!

I do have this system and have some input on the this thread:
https://www.toyotachrforum.com/forum/...arming-up.html

You will see a link to my installation video specific to the NA C-HR in that thread...very easy...

The system itself works well EXCEPT the limitations of the OEM key fob are significant. If you notice, the range of our fobs is pretty sad. Most vehicles can unlock doors via the fob over a significant distance (my former vehicle could unlock the doors within, maybe, 40 or 50 foot- line of site). The C_HR is A LOT less than any other vehicle that I have owned. 20 foot max (maybe less) in ideal conditions.
This being the case, the remote start wont work unless you are within that usable range. It works...you just need to be close. It's the fobs signal strength (or perhaps the receiver in the car) that is the problem, not the remote start system.

To aid in this shortcoming, you can add an additional module (also available via 12volt solutions) that attaches to the remote start. The additional module utilizes cell towers to connect to the remote start via an app on your phone (and my android watch too!). This system is only limited in range by the cell signal in the area in which you are parked. I was on holiday in Seattle a while ago and remote started my vehicle that was in Ohio! Pretty crazy. It also adds GPS capabilities and a couple other perks. There is a monthly/yearly subscriptions required for cell phone capability. See the details on 12voltsolutions.com.

I bought the original "Smart Start" system (manufactured by Directed Electronics, aka Viper, Cliiford and more) to attach to the remote start. Nothing but headaches originally. The customer service (Clay) from 12voltsolutions was impeccable and he bent over backwards to get the cell system to work. Still had problems...they sent me an upgraded version and I have been happy since. I believe that the original problems were a Directed Electronics connectivity issue- not the vendor.

They no longer offer the Directed Electronics version- apparently I wasn't the only one having problems and they have switched over to a different module manufactured by a different vendor. I can't comment on how well the newer version works...

Confused? Not surprised...just ask and Ill try to any unanswered questions.
TubeMan, sho23 and jadehawk like this.

Last edited by DrZeus; 02-01-2018 at 06:07 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for you input and reply DrZeus! Very helpful!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota C-HR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page