Toyota C-HR Forum banner

Any ever change their stereo receiver?

15K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  RoLleRKoaSTeR 
#1 ·
Just wanted to know if anyone has change their stereo before to have Apple CarPlay or android. If so how hard or easy was it? I’ve been thinking about getting a pioneer stereo with Apple CarPlay/Android Auto

#14 ·
Just changed out mine for a Kenwood Excellon DDX795 from Crutchfield. Got it with their recommended steering wheel control kit.
The only issue I had was that the steering wheel adapter uses a mini usb connector which I did not have - had to run to WalMart to get a cheap one. Used that cable to update the firmware and pre-program it for Kenwood.

Don't have pics, but the radio works better than the original Pioneer that was in it.
Even the USB connector in the front works.

#16 ·
Pictures of the DDX 795 installed

Sorry, could not take pictures while the WAZE app was running. WAZE only works while plugged into the USB port. Probably a good thing.

Placed the S/XM adapter in the front that way it won't scratch the roof.

Tray Opened for optical drive - If needed

Kenwood App

Equalizer display

#18 ·
Is the original bluetooth mic stills works or you had to installed the mic supplied with the radios ? and can you use the steering wheel to answer or make calls?. I been told that the steering wheel interfaces available for the CHR do not support this functions.

Bill

#20 ·
I Installed my Kenwood Yesterday and the Steering Wheel Controller I used does support making and answering calls (tested before posting just in case) it also allows the use of the Voice command button. However you will need to install the provided bluetooth MIC that will come with your Radio. It will not use the MIC from factory.

Check link on my Signature.

#21 ·
Great, looks like I will need to add the passive microphone that came with the Kenwood head unit. The OEM microphone is an active/powered microphone. It works on 5volts. And, upon research in the Tacoma, Tundra, and Rav4 forums, it will not work. The OEM microphone overloads the input to the newer head unit and it will not sound good or at all because the aftermarket unit is expecting a passive microphone signal.

Pin outs are as follows on the 28-pin connector:

4 - Red - MIC B+
5 - White - MIC In
6 - Yellow - MIC DET
19 - Black - MIC Ground

Reactions: jadehawk
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.