Toyota Aims Scion C-HR Concept at Millennial Yuccies - Toyota C-HR Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Guy

Toyota Aims Scion C-HR Concept at Millennial Yuccies

According to Toyota itself, the Scion C-HR concept was design ed with millennial "yuccies" in mind. First off, I have never heard anyone describe themself as a yuccie, and that makes me question who exactly these people that Toyota is targeting are.

Toyota came up with the term "yuccie" to describe "young, urban creatives." Basically this means young people who live in the city and might like a car that is a little interesting in the styling department instead of many of the other options out there that are quite mundane.

Toyota has determined that the yuccie is looking for something compact and with a high ride height. That's why the C-HR actually stand for "compact size and high ride height." If trends continue, it very well could be the case that the sedan will continue its decline and anyone who is anyone will be driving a small SUV.

Business Insider reports,

Quote:
Bob Carter, Toyota Motor Corp.’s top U.S. sales executive,predicted today that the RAV4 will outsell the Camry within the next five years as millennials, the children of the baby boomers, embrace small SUVs as the new family car.

“I’ll bet you lunch that will happen,” Carter told reporters Thursday at a Toyota holiday party in Detroit. “Many of these under-35-year-old buyers, who are entering the market in a big way right now, grew up in SUVs.”
The C-HR embraces a philosophy of style-before-utility. A similar design aesthetic can be seen in Nissan's Juke. Toyota believes this will appeal to millennials, though I am curious why the company believes that millennials prioritize style of over function. A balance of both seems like a natural course.

So there you have it. Toyota has studied the millennials. They have understood their yuccie customer. And after all that research they have presented the millennial generation the Scion C-HR -- soon to become the Scion iR.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 11:02 PM

Thought the C-HR was a different model compared to the iR. At least now I don't have to wait until next year for the concept model if this is the case.
I expected that the next Scion i model would be aimed at the same demographic as the iA and iM. Seems to be their new direction and market group. Since they already have to low cars for this age group, they may as well cover the other SUV segment.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 05:27 PM
SiR

Smart move since they seem to be the most likely to get into one of these. So with us knowing, this i'm going to expect promo and marketing material geared towards just that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 10:56 AM

Hope they don't stick with the "weird" concept for future promotions. There's only so many commercials with the same line I can handle before they all start to sound boring.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 04:17 PM
SiR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityWok View Post
Hope they don't stick with the "weird" concept for future promotions. There's only so many commercials with the same line I can handle before they all start to sound boring.
It all depends on the market they want to target that is most relevant to the growth they want to see, so chances are you'll see more of this going on

Enjoy the show.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 11:03 AM

Wouldn't mind seeing a few commercials from Dave Franco. Seems like a good progression since Scion's already used James for the iM.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 02:57 PM
SiR

Would be cool if they end up doing a tuner challenge for it, much like what was done to the iA and iM

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Guy

The design of the this concept in untenable. It will get way more simplified before it becomes the production model.

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 10:53 AM

Most likely small wheel wells because those wheels are huge. Would be cool if they kept the headlight design. It'll be mesmerizing to watch it as a turn signal that lights up each individual line in a sequence.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 11:09 AM

Smaller air intake grilles and as much as we would like to have those headlights, they will most likely be changed out for something simpler.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota C-HR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page