The 2018 Toyota C-HR Could Be Better - Toyota C-HR Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

The 2018 Toyota C-HR Could Be Better

At least that’s what Car And Driver thinks after taking the new 2018 Toyota C-HR for a spin.

Though they will give credit where it’s due, mainly around the C-HR’s interior and exterior design, which Editor John Pearley Huffman describes as “Grape Ape styling”. An acronym for Coupe and High Rider, the C-HR is Toyota’s answer to the Nissan Juke and Honda HR-V. Appealing to a similar market with high-mounted rear door handles and shortened rear, its side profile is reminiscent of a crouching chimpanzee.

Then there’s the very extensive list of standard equipment that the $23,495 XLE base model comes equipped with; adaptive cruise control, lane-departure warning, lane-keeping assist, projector-beam headlights, dual-zone automatic climate control, leather covered steering wheel and shift knob, and a 7.0-inch centrally mounted touchscreen.

But where the C-HR failed is in its performance on the road. The 2.0-liter engine’s 144 horsepower just isn’t enough to move all 3286 pounds fast enough. Accelerating to 60 mph takes a full 11 seconds and you’ll need a quarter-mile and 18.4 seconds to hit 79 mph. Perhaps the C-HR would have been more appealing if peak torque (139 lb-ft) was achieved at lower rpms and sustained for longer, similar to what you’d find in the Honda Civic.

But this is all just from Huffman’s perspective. Let us know what you think of his review below.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 04:22 PM

I've pretty much moved away from reviews because they're based on an individual's preference. Yes, the C-HR may not have as much power as some people would prefer, but if the kind of horsepower they want would cost more and for what we're paying, the C-HR is great.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 01:41 PM

I agree with TubeMan. My CH-R has enough pep and power for my driving. I love it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 03:40 PM

Garage
Sport mode does help. I wonder if they even used that when testing. I just sport mode would stay on instead of having to be reset each time you start the vehicle.
bensonchicago likes this.

PDR
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrumans View Post
Sport mode does help. I wonder if they even used that when testing. I just sport mode would stay on instead of having to be reset each time you start the vehicle.
I agree...my Mercedes always defaults to normal mode too and I hate it.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 08:19 PM
SiR

At this rate all they need to do is drop a TRD version with a bit more power and it could very well be the next hottest CUV on the market as long as Mazda doesn't do anything special with the Mazda CX3.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 11:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR View Post
At this rate all they need to do is drop a TRD version with a bit more power and it could very well be the next hottest CUV on the market as long as Mazda doesn't do anything special with the Mazda CX3.
Probably next year, some news said toyota will put a 1.5 turbo engine with 180hp into C-HR.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 08:36 AM

Well if that is the case, I wouldn't mind going for the 180hp depending on how much more it'll cost. With more power comes a larger price tag and the C-HR has affordability going for it.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 12:36 PM

I think C-HR deserves turbo engine and Jalopnik agrees with me. The C-HR is maybe the coolest looking crossover in its class and I really want it to gain more hp in the future.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 04:17 PM

I like the safety and handling. Not complaining with the power it gets me from point A to B.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota C-HR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page