C-HR Expected To Boost Hybrid Sales - Toyota C-HR Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

C-HR Expected To Boost Hybrid Sales

Introduced in production form at the 2016 Geneva Motor Show, Toyota’s new compact crossover SUV with a bold design language is expected to boost the Japanese automotive giant’s hybrid sales in Europe.

In an interview with Automotive News, Toyota Europe CEO Johan van Zyl was asked to give an estimation of how many C-HRs Toyota will sell in Europe and his answer was a substantial 50,000 to 100,000 units. Out of that number, 70% of the C-HRs sold in Europe are expected to be the hybrid variant. That could be an accurate estimation considering the fact that the Auris hybrid sales are already reaching around 60% in Western Europe.

This is just the beginning, by 2020 Toyota wants half of its European sales to be comprised of hybrids and right now they’re at 31%. A goal that’ll Toyota will try to meet by offering a hybrid version of every model in their range.

Produced in Turkey, the C-HR will be offered with a 115 hp 1.2-litre turbo engine or a 122 hp 1.8-litre hybrid powertrain. The 1.8-litre petrol hybrid system was borrowed from the Prius and it should deliver less than 90g/Km of CO2 emissions.

The much anticipated C-HR is expected to launch in Europe by the end of this year with the U.S. market following later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 12:45 PM

1.2L turbo. With it having such a small motor with low power numbers should I expect trans issues for overworking it ?!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 01:26 PM
SiR

best to stay away from these for a while then
i rather give it at least 6 months to a year running with that powerplant before deciding if i want to buy in or not
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 03:57 PM

That's what I was thinking. I keep thinking of the TLs from earlier years because of that specific reason.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 01:26 AM

At least the hybrid version shouldn't have the same problem with a 1.8-litre engine.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 02:19 PM

True. Unfortunately I'm looking for torque numbers but can't seem to find anything on it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 03:51 PM
SiR

Toyota hybrids (and maybe hybrids overall) are known for slow torque increases during low RPM conditions and considering how efficient of a vehicle this is set out to be, that falls in line with what's expected of it and this segment.

But in the end there's no telling how they could slightly change torque distribution on this compared to other Toyota hybrid models. We just have to wait and see.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 10:18 AM

From what I've read, the slow torque increases during low rpms is coming from the engine itself but when paired with the electric motor the total torque output from the low end is great.

CityWok likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 10:25 AM

Torque at low RPMs is really what you need the most in city driving which the C-HR will undoubtedly do a lot of. It kind of plateaus around 3000 to 4000 rpm, but that's fine. Great steady increase of power too.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 10:49 AM

Toyota Europe hybrid sales has been on a rise this year, around 45% and the C-HR may push it to 50% and more. This is great news for hybrid buyers like us because automakers will be more wiling to develop more hybrids if the sales returns is high.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota C-HR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page