2019 c-hr maintenence thread - Toyota C-HR Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

2019 c-hr maintenence thread

started one of these on a kia forum when we bought our new kia rio .
it became a good reference thread .

doing the same here .

post your dealer/mechanic visits here and let us know what if anything your c-hr needed along its journey of life .

first 5000 mile checkup.

needed nothing ,we let the dealer know we had been getting a warning light for the pre collision sensor .

they said there's a sensor behind the front emblem on the car and another one in the windshield behind the rear view mirror .

keep those areas clean they said and you shouldn't have a problem .

nothing else to report .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 07:41 AM

Nothing except for the pre collision system as you mention. It doesn't work in heavy rain or snow.

Down the toad air filter needed to be changed in mine. Toyota said they didn't have it in stock so ordered it for me. I received a call after around 4 months that it had arrived. 4 months.. lol. I had already replaced it myself after waiting a month.

I am probably gonna need the pads now and current debating now whether i should purchase my own or go with Toyota's
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer0543 View Post
Nothing except for the pre collision system as you mention. It doesn't work in heavy rain or snow.

I am probably gonna need the pads now and current debating now whether i should purchase my own or go with Toyota's
what mileage are you at needing pads ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 10:07 AM

I am at 40k. On my last service Toyota said pads were at 50%. Since its been 16k since last service, pretty sure they will be around 60 to 70. So might as well change them
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

As you all mentioned, I was getting the pre-collision warning system disabled light. I understood it will happen when the front emblem is covered in snow. I didn't expect it to happen in some rain conditions. But I don't depend on the system anyways. It's just a nice to have...just in case.

So far, have done only the scheduled routine maintenance which my dealer is saying the 10k miles intervals are what applies to me. I did do an oil/filter change at just over 1k miles myself. It was very easy and was happy to see Toyota went back to the canister oil filters instead of the cartridge ones they've used in the past. I have one more factory paid for service coming up and then I'll be on my own. Not too worried as this is a pretty basic car that I can do all the work on myself. The only thing annoying is the electronic parking brake which will make replacing the rear brakes a bit more complicated.

2019 Toyota C-HR LE Silver Knockout Metallic
2013 BMW 135i Carbon Black
2009 Ducati 848 Pearl White/Black
2004 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R Black
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 11:25 AM

And sorry 40k would be 40 000 KM since I am in Canada.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 12:38 PM

Questions and pretty sure it will help others too..

Oil changes are required every 16k km but there's another recommended service every 8k km. Toyota only rotates tires in that 8k service. My question is can I skip that? Will that void warranty? I just don't wanna pay them $100 for tire rotations
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Not rotating the tires will not affect your warranty. It won't affect anything else but the wear on your tires. Because our cars are front wheel drive, the front tires will wear sooner than the rear tires if the tires are left in their respective positions. And if you tend to corner aggressively, the front tires will definitely wear sooner; especially on the outside shoulders of the tires.

Rotating the tires helps to even out the wear across all 4 tires so you can replace them all at once and have some predictability on the performance of your tires.

I rotate my own tires when the car needs it. So I don't pay others to do something I can do easily. But on my BMW, I cannot rotate the tires front to back as this car is not a square setup. The front tires are narrower than the rears. I'm running 225 width up front and 245 width on the rears. I think the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires I run for summers allows swapping Left/Right as the tires only have a provision to have one side of the tire to face outwards. The winter tires I have for the car which are Bridgestone Blizzak WS80s are directional. So I cannot even swap them Left/Right.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 05:07 PM

Yup I can definitely rotate them myself. Just wanted to confirm so that Toyota doesn't come at me making excuses.

Will skip the 8k service and take care of the tire rotation myself.

Thanks zx10guy. If the forum had a thank meter it would have already been broken on your posts as that's how much helpful you've been

Happy holidays 🙂
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah. Toyota won't mess with you about not having any receipts for a shop doing the tire rotations. The only time it may come up is if there is a problem with the factory installed tires. But then you're going to be arguing with the tire manufacturer as Toyota doesn't extend their warranty to the tires.

The one thing you want to do when you do the rotations yourself is to properly torque down the lug nuts. If the lug nuts are not torqued correctly at worst, you may have a safety issue. But on the other side of it you may develop brake rotor issues as over torqued and unevenly torqued lug nuts can cause brake rotor warpage.

You're welcome. I try to help where I can. I'm a self learned shade tree mechanic and have always been into fixing things and tearing things apart to see how things work. I got really good at 90's generation GM cars as I owned a few. I've diverted my attention over the years to motorcycles, my BMW, and now this Toyota. I feel I still have a lot to learn about Toyotas but I'm getting there. I'll eventually break down and purchase the service manual so I can really dig into this car along with getting a Techstream setup.

Happy Holidays to you too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota C-HR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page