Buying tips for New/Used Toyota CHR - Toyota C-HR Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By zx10guy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Buying tips for New/Used Toyota CHR

As probably one of the few members here who do not yet own a CH-R, I wondered if any of you long time owners, have any tips for buying one either New or Used. Please chime in with thoughts, tips, etc.
I'm going to be in the market shortly for a late model (2018, 19, or 20) XLE, or Premier/Limited, low mileage CH-R. I'm currently located in the Lakeland, FL area, but will be moving back up to NJ in May.
I'd prefer to buy it down here, as my perception is that it will be slightly cheaper. Thoughts? Tips, Suggestions? Any and all assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,

Striker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 08:32 PM

2018 came with a very bad radio. If you want to go with after market radio then go with 2018 as you will find a lot of options to upgrade to.

If you want leather interior and other goodies then of course 2019/20 will be the one since 2018 didn't have leather option

You've been very active in the forum and i am pretty sure that you're aware of the lack of power. 144 hp is just not enough and cvt is horrible and loud

Of you get your windows tinted, sitting inside the car would be like sitting 8n cave. Wish it had the sunroof

Rear windows are tiny, kids hate them because they can't see anything outside.

Trunk space is reasonable

Ride is comfortable, fabric seats are bad and get dirty very easy but otherwise they're comfortable.

2019/20 has no android auto, only apple carplay

No AWD but for me I've gotten used to it and with winter tires it was just fine in snow last winter in Toronto

Also, CHR feels like a car than a cuv. So keep that in mind too before you purchase it because it sits low and drives more like a hatchback

Fuel economy could be better in my opinion but it is what it is

Let me know if you have any questions.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

Here are my thoughts. As mentioned, the engine is horrid in terms of power. There seems to be a mod which tweaks the VVT system that helps with the power situation. Would love to see a dyno run with this mod. It also appears an intake such as one from AEM seems to add some power. While it's minor, the power increase is across the entire RPM band of the engine.

Headlights are horrid. I found myself needing to use the high beams to see anything. To me this is a safety issue especially if you live in a rural area with critters small and large that run across the road. It was so bad, I installed an HID kit within the week of owning the car.

I don't find any issues with the cloth seats. Being dark, it does show crud and stuff pretty easily. But it's so far doing well with my 4 year old kid in the car. If you have kids or are planning on having them, keep in mind, a car seat placed in the middle of the rear seating area can cause issues with the passengers on either side buckling their seat belts. The seat belt latch/receiver was not designed well and it was obvious this car was not really intended for owner's with very young children.

The lack of additional 12V outlets is stupid and annoying. The placement of the USB and Aux port in the area under the center dash is equally stupid. These ports should have been in the center console/arm rest storage. Toyota could have done a better job with this storage bin by having a hinged tray that can lift up with the arm rest. The lack of additional USB ports is also another stupid oversight.

The Entune 3.0 head unit is just trash. Scout GPS is worthless and slow. The smart phone link using the Entune app is also worthless as it doesn't always link properly. The lack of Android Auto is plain dumb and how Toyota is handling how they are rolling out the feature on newer models and upgrading existing models is atrocious. All the hearsay on whether a particular model is going to get an upgrade option is ridiculous. The fact the 2020 Corolla HB is having Android Auto from the factory is encouraging as from what I can tell it is using the same hardware as the 2019 C-HRs. As Tanveer stated, it might be worth getting a 2018 with the trash double DIN head unit which will allow you a ton of options to get a proper head unit.

The rear doors don't swing open far enough.

Having the factory blind spot monitoring is pretty much a must have with the blind spots on this car. In my opinion, the blind spot monitoring should be part of the safety package instead of an option for the higher trim levels. Or at least make it an individual option.

On the plus side, the car is fairly comfortable to drive. Handles very well for the type of car it is. I can forgive a lot of my complaints above had Toyota actually finished the car by putting in a proper engine.

2019 Toyota C-HR LE Silver Knockout Metallic
2013 BMW 135i Carbon Black
2009 Ducati 848 Pearl White/Black
2004 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

My thanks to you both for your well thought-out, and insightful posts. Honestly, I knew most of that, and was looking for actual advice in shopping around, and where/how to get the best deals. Any insight in regards to that?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Well, it's all in how you are at negotiating. I didn't intend on buying my car that day but the dealer I visited was willing to work numbers with me. I used KBB invoice as the starting point. I don't know if I got a great deal. I did get a decent deal. The final sticking point was the dealer doc fees. I argued with them on that point and they worked it as a credit in the price but still kept it listed on the bill of sale. Whatever. I guess it's how they wanted it in their accounting. You have more leverage if you buy a car they have on the lot. That's where I had some leverage. I wasn't picky about the color nor the options. My car just happens to be optioned the way I wanted as I want bare bones basic. The only thing I wish I had is the blind spot monitoring. There's also a rebate being offered by Toyota. One other thing you can do which I could have done but I just didn't get around to doing it. Contact each dealer in your area via email to see what price they can give you. Then have each dealer compete against each other. Cuts down on all the driving around and time wasted in the showroom.

If you buy used, always get a PPI (pre purchase inspection) done by a good mechanic. While these cars are still very new and there shouldn't be anything big that will bite you, it will be worth having the inspection done. Not only for mechanical reasons but to see if there has been any body work or signs of it being in a collision. You also might want to see if the owner has service records or maybe contact a dealership with the VIN to see if they can pull the history on the car.
Striker likes this.

2019 Toyota C-HR LE Silver Knockout Metallic
2013 BMW 135i Carbon Black
2009 Ducati 848 Pearl White/Black
2004 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R Black
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a ton ZX10Guy! This kind of advice is invaluable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota C-HR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page