TPWS Registration after tires change - Toyota C-HR Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

TPWS Registration after tires change

I have a 2019 C-HR. After I changed into summer tires the TPSW light blinked and stayed on. I suspect this got something to do with registering the tire pressure sensors. Manual said go to Toyota service. Hate to pay for that.

Anyone know how to fix this. Please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 12:28 AM

I dont think you would have to pay anything since its a new car and covered under warranty. Just tell the dealer TPMS is not working. They might just have to clear the code for it to register
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know where you're getting this from that the manual tells you to go in for service to reset the TPWS. In my US spec owner's manual on page 367, it spells out how you would go about resetting the TPWS. Also, my car is a 2019 MY CHR.

On my 2013 BMW 135i, I would do the same thing as you where I run two sets of tires; summer and winter. Both sets are on dedicated wheels. So when I swap them when seasons change, I would have to reset the TPMS. Been doing this since I bought the car new without issue.

Depending on how things go, I may be doing the same thing with the CHR in getting another set of wheels and tires to do summer/winter swaps.

2019 Toyota C-HR LE Silver Knockout Metallic
2013 BMW 135i Carbon Black
2009 Ducati 848 Pearl White/Black
2004 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 07:52 PM

I had the winters on C-HR without the sensors. Swapped them in April with all season and didn't have to reset anything.

Same thing on my old Venza. Didn't have ti reset the sensors after the swap
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:49 PM

Garage
I took the winter rims off (without TPMS sensors) put back the summer mags with the TPMS and can't get them to be recognized by the car even after trying to set them on the dash screen.... gonna have to bring it in... (mine is a 2018)

2018 Toyota C-HR XLE Premium
Silver Knockout Metallic
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Hi Zx10 guy
We have the same manual. On page 367 it talks about setting to the pressures in the present tires. On page 368 top, it tells you to go to Toyota to have the pressure sensor ID codes registered by the dealer
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah. I just found some more information on this:

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/9...l-sensors.html

So apparently, you do have to have the new TPWS sensors registered. And it seems there are specific sensors which will work. This is just plain stupid. As complicated and overly engineered BMWs are, they at least allow me to just run compatible TPMS sensors without the need to code/register them with the ECU. Just think about having to have to go back to the dealer or some shop with the capability to do the registration when the battery in the sensors die out. Totally unnecessary. Seems to the safest bet is to order Toyota sourced TPWS sensors instead of rolling the dice with aftermarket. Unless the retailer provides a guarantee they will work which will have to be reimbursing for the cost to remove and the attempted coding/registration.

2019 Toyota C-HR LE Silver Knockout Metallic
2013 BMW 135i Carbon Black
2009 Ducati 848 Pearl White/Black
2004 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R Black
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Well, I tried google search and one suggestion was to push SET 3 times to register the sensors. It did not work. Finally I went back to the shop that sold me the winter tires. They are not busy this time of the year. A technician came out with some kind of meter. Point it at the valve stems to record the sensor IDs. Then plug the meter into the OBD connector. A couple of buttons and sensor IDs went in the car. TPWS light went off. No charge.
Its true that this has to be done at the dealer or a shop with this TPWS programmer. I looked in Amazon for one. They are quite cheap $20 for GM/Ford cars but $200 and up for other cars.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota C-HR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page