A brief tutorial on installation of JDM taillights - Toyota C-HR Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Brian Cheung
  • 1 Post By Brian Cheung

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

A brief tutorial on installation of JDM taillights

Hi All,

I have successfully installed the Japanese version of taillights today for my 2018 CHR. I spent a good half day on the project without much resources on the internet. So I feel that it would be great to share with anyone who wants to ditch the ugly taillights that come with the US version since I did an extensive research on how to install them.

First, currently on the market there are two sets of LED taillights, one is the Japanese/European version (JDM), another one is made by some Chinese manufacturers which also look cool (available on Aliexpress per another member on this forum).

To install the taillights you also need some tools like this: https://www.amazon.com/Interior-Dash...rds=car+prying

*This will help you remove the trims and trunk panels without damaging them. Never try to use screwdrivers to remove the plastic panels.

Materials:

Pry Tools
JDM Taillights
10mm Hex Driver
Conversion Harness

I'm attaching a pdf file as the format will be easier to read:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Hlc...ew?usp=sharing

I got my pair of taillights from a used part store in Japan and conversion harness from a guy in China. I also have to declare that I'm not running a business of taillights or conversion harness. But if you want my help, I can help you get them from my connections in Japan and China. I also saw some taillights on https://www.beforward.jp/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	taillight chinese.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	305.6 KB
ID:	5192  
sho23 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 05:40 AM Thread Starter

This is the JDM version taillight I installed. The one from the first post is the Chinese made taillight.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	taillight JDM.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	5194  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 04:47 PM

Thanks for the post, I'll definitely be looking into this in greater detail once I have some free funds

(roughly speaking, what are we looking at cost wise, excluding shipping? The other thread mentions $70 - that seems too cheap?)

2018 Toyota C-HR XLE Premium Magnetic Gray
Current: Blacksys CH200 Dashcam, Solargard UP Tint, LED Interior, OPT7 Color-Smart LED Strip Interior Footwell Lighting

Want: HID Headlight, LED Foglight, Android Auto HUD, Solar Sunshade

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 05:42 PM

I'm interested in where you purchased this harness. If you can share.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 02:47 AM Thread Starter

The harness was $70, but the lights can vary. The harness was bought from a guy in China, he has an online store: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm..._u=h8heea48235

Normally he sells the full set of light and harness, but since I got my lights already from Japan, he sold me the harness separately for $70.

All communications were in Chinese so if anyone wants and doesn't speak Mandarin, I can help coordinate and get from him to save shipping. Please leave your contact through PM if you do not mind.

My friend in Japan works for a used auto part store, so he helped me get a very good pair. They also put them on Croooober sometimes. I can ask if he has some in store that are in good condition. I also checked Croooober these days, some of them are either unchecked, or broken.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 02:58 AM Thread Starter

Just an update on a final touch on this project. The inner light also lights up now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8333FF92-35F1-47C7-8245-04D4B52BF520_1547708255344.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	5196  
Striker likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 02:46 AM

Hello
I bought chinese version of led tail lights. My car is non led and the harness for inner tail light is not compatible. Any solution for this? Can i use the harness given in this topic?
Thank you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota C-HR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page