C-HR car sharing in Toyko - Toyota C-HR Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

C-HR car sharing in Toyko

It looks like Toyota will be starting a trial car sharing service in Tokyo for a 10 month period starting in June. They will use 60 C-HR units, through one of their car sharing platforms that currently uses more than 20,000 vehicles, serving over 900,000 members. I know its only a matter of time before these kinds of programs become more prominent here in the North America.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 08:47 AM

How would the car sharing work and is it kind of like the normal car rental? Wouldn't be very useful if it's similar to Uber but with a different pay structure.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

It basically lets you rent a car for an hourly fee, with vehicles parked at convenient locations around the city. More similar to Enterprise than it is to Uber, with much shorter intervals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 12:10 PM

Or zipcar?

2018 Toyota C-HR XLE Premium Magnetic Gray
Current: Blacksys CH200 Dashcam, Solargard UP Tint, LED Interior, OPT7 Color-Smart LED Strip Interior Footwell Lighting

Want: HID Headlight, LED Foglight, Android Auto HUD, Solar Sunshade

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 08:23 AM

Think I saw something like that in my travels, though the cars were the size of Smart Cars and the allotted space on the street allowed for two vehicles only. They were just parked there with some kind of pay guide. Interesting idea so long as there's parking space available.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 08:36 AM

It's a smart move to utilize new models in these kinds of programs, as it'll allow interested buyers to test out the model, without making a trip to the dealer. Car subscription services are also beginning to be offered by most automakers, and the pricing seems to be decent.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 11:29 AM

Works best when you live in a metro area with plenty of public transit - since you only need a car for a trip.

Current: Blacksys CH200 Dashcam, Solargard UP Tint, LED Interior, OPT7 Color-Smart LED Strip Interior Footwell Lighting

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 01:21 PM
SiR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho23 View Post
Works best when you live in a metro area with plenty of public transit - since you only need a car for a trip.
That's exactly what I have been telling other people about making the best of owning a vehicle, sometimes its just better to hop on rapid transit than to drive. Biggest problem is some people don't want to leave their cars even for part of the trip.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR View Post
That's exactly what I have been telling other people about making the best of owning a vehicle, sometimes its just better to hop on rapid transit than to drive. Biggest problem is some people don't want to leave their cars even for part of the trip.
because US oil industry successfully ruined many public transportation options... in my 2 weeks in Japan, a train station was never more than 15 mins walk, and the train was never more than 5-10 minutes away.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I don't know why cities with less than stellar public transportation options aren't investing more into initiatives like this. For many who live in downtown cores, its just a waste of money to bother owning your own vehicle. But I could see people using a car sharing service on a as needed basis.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota C-HR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page