Question - average Range in full tank - Toyota C-HR Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Question - average Range in full tank

Hi Guys, i have a question with average range when C-HR is in full tank.
i just bought C-HR last week, and today was my first time putting a full tank on this car.

and the average range that the display indicated was 250miles....

it is advertised in US as 27MPG in City and 31MPG in HWY. and C-HR has 13.2 gas tank.

today, i put full tank equivalent of 11.5 gallons.

by calculating them as 27 or 26 MPG.. i should be getting range of roughly around 310 Miles.. but it was a little strange to see 250 miles as range in full tank..

do i need to reset something to refresh up the range scale?

does anybody has the same issue ? or any thoughts would be very much appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 08:24 AM

Some people are real world average ranges that are close to the manufacturer suggested numbers and some are under. Here's a thread about it: https://www.toyotachrforum.com/forum/...-rating-2.html

I suppose with new cars, it may need time to adjust to your driving style before giving out accurate numbers, or it could be dependent on how heavy footed you are.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 08:32 AM

13.2 gas tank is including the reserve. When your empy light is lit and the range is zero there will be at least 2gallon of fuel left in the tank.
All Toyota´s i have and have owned had a fuel light that came up very soon.

Its maybe a Japanese thing... so you never run fully out of fuel.

C-HR Hybrid --- JDM Style
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Hi TubeMan and dutCH-R,

thank you so much for your input.

I did not realize about the reserve of 2 gallons.

I will continually monitor and see once the car gets used to my driving, the ave. range may change.

thanks!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 11:38 AM

Thumbmania82, I just did a long trip with my daughter this past weekend. In ECO mode on city, highway and interstate driving with snow and below freezing temps I got 325 miles at the fuel light coming on. We did get stopped due to a wreck for 30 minutes of engine idle time during this fuel run.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 05:22 PM

I never try to drain the gas tank but hum it's never a bad idea to start tracking

2018 Toyota C-HR XLE Premium Magnetic Gray
Current: Blacksys CH200 Dashcam, Solargard UP Tint, LED Interior, OPT7 Color-Smart LED Strip Interior Footwell Lighting

Want: HID Headlight, LED Foglight, Android Auto HUD, Solar Sunshade

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Hi Mersh75, thank you for your input. I should try your method too. put C-HR in ECO mode and do a long trip to see how much full tank gives me.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
i should be getting range of roughly around 310 Miles.. but it was a little strange to see 250 miles as range in full tank..
Something is very strange with the average MPG and distance to empty on the display. I'm thinking Toyota is not very truthful about either of the two numbers. The lowest I ever see at the end of a trip is 27.5 mpg average. Yet the distance to empty after fill up never exceeds 260 miles! Just by simply calculating 10 gallon capacity without additional reserve the range should be 275 miles. Only way this could make sense is if the tank was 10 gallons including reserve but it's not! Just filled up with 11.4 gallons last night. I still had gas in the tank and fuel light was not on. So according to the display I should have seen something like 313.5 distance to empty. Clearly our vehicles are not getting the advertised millage, not even the one that is projected on the display.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 09:31 AM

Most of the time we never see the advertised mileage for one reason or another. Maybe Toyota tested the C-HR in perfect conditions to get those fuel economy numbers.
That's unfortunately the way it is for car manufacturers, not just Toyota.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 12:00 PM

Yes, but in the case of C-HR the display contradicts itself. It keeps telling you what you are averaging as you go and then shows distance to empty that does not mach previous number, all at the same time. And the distance to empty is MUCH less than displayed average. I have owned many Toyota vehicles in the past, currently own 3 and this only happens on the C-HR! One other point, every Toyota I have owned, including C-HR, when the distance to empty reaches zero, you are literally riding on reserve. This tells me the distance to empty is more accurate than the inaccurate/funny average number being displayed. Maybe it's the new conman core math?
mersh75 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota C-HR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page