Winter Weather- How does she handle? - Toyota C-HR Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Winter Weather- How does she handle?

Getting ready for the winter season here in Ohio. Just upgraded from a Ford Edge which was quite impressive in the ice/snow...Can anyone tell me their experiences with their C-HR on ice/snow? How does it handle? I have a 30 minute commute each day and it can be quite challenging in the winter....Any insite on your experiences? I know that its nearly 1000lbs lighter than the Edge which could make a huge difference...Does it warm up quickly? Sorry...Just trying to anticipate the upcoming season.... Thanx all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 03:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZeus View Post
Getting ready for the winter season here in Ohio. Just upgraded from a Ford Edge which was quite impressive in the ice/snow...Can anyone tell me their experiences with their C-HR on ice/snow? How does it handle? I have a 30 minute commute each day and it can be quite challenging in the winter....Any insite on your experiences? I know that its nearly 1000lbs lighter than the Edge which could make a huge difference...Does it warm up quickly? Sorry...Just trying to anticipate the upcoming season.... Thanx all!
Hi Doc I live I WV so same here...my commute is a little less but through some pretty hilly and curvy terrain...I'm very curious too. However I traded in a Pontiac Sunfire for my C-HR so I'm sure it can't be any worse lol
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 12:54 AM

The C-HR is still relatively new and it's not winter yet so you may have to wait a while until you get and answer. I have read that slightly smaller wheels could improve winter performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 06:01 AM

get snow tire. Lighter car = even less grip on snow.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 06:05 AM

Get winter tires, Lighter car would mean you have even less grip on snow.

Unless you have the AWD version of the CHR... those would probably be decent with proper tires.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Its winter here in the northern climes...Has anyone had ice/snow experience with this vehicle yet? How does she do with stock tires in those situations? Are winter tires needed? I've Recently experienced some significant wind while driving and she tends to be effected more so than my previous Ford edge (The C-HR is 700 lbs lighter too). What are your thoughts? Much appreciated! Thanx!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 06:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZeus View Post
Its winter here in the northern climes...Has anyone had ice/snow experience with this vehicle yet? How does she do with stock tires in those situations? Are winter tires needed? I've Recently experienced some significant wind while driving and she tends to be effected more so than my previous Ford edge (The C-HR is 700 lbs lighter too). What are your thoughts? Much appreciated! Thanx!
I travelled to upper BC last month, and it was snowing there, this car was pretty impressive in the snow with Cooper weather master winter tires. However, don't compare it to an AWD car. For sure AWD does better, but for an FWD car, it performed decently in the snow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 3.49.54 PM.png
Views:	501
Size:	781.5 KB
ID:	2058  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 12:50 PM
JDM

Looks snowy up there I planning to travel to upper Ontario on Christmas holidays, so my C-HR is going to be snow tested too. I'll send some photos
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 09:29 AM

We're expecting a small snow storm here in the Northeast tonight/tomorrow, I'll put her through the test and report back.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 12:41 PM

Garage
Well I have winter tires on mine and we got a pretty good snow storm on Tuesday and I find it was okay. I guess like erichsieh22 wrote, nothing will beat AWD. I'm coming from a Subaru Forester with Asymetrical All Wheel Drive and during the storm I gotta say that I missed my Forester.

2018 Toyota C-HR XLE Premium
Silver Knockout Metallic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota C-HR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page