Off Topic - Which is better Highway Miles or City Miles? - Toyota C-HR Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Off Topic - Which is better Highway Miles or City Miles?

I read a lot of articles about highway vs city miles. I want to hear your thoughts about this. I usually drive to work roughly 40 miles a day plus 40 miles driving back so about 80 miles per day. I just want an insight which is better, Highway or City Miles.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marti015 View Post
I read a lot of articles about highway vs city miles. I want to hear your thoughts about this. I usually drive to work roughly 40 miles a day plus 40 miles driving back so about 80 miles per day. I just want an insight which is better, Highway or City Miles.

Let me know your

Thank you!

What engine? In my hybrid, if i get up to speed and reset the computer, i get 50 uk mpg ish at 75mph. If i use the 60mph A roads I can show an indicated 70mpg. I dont do city work but to me it seems slower is allot better.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 11:42 AM

What do you mean by "better" exactly? Which gets better mileage? Typically by looking at spec sheets, you'll always find the highway EPA better than the city because you're maintaining a constant speed (speculated) and you're less stop and go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 07:57 PM
SiR

As obvious as this is, driving style is important. All too often I seen aggressive drivers in the city when driving in an energy efficient manner would still work, all while not impeding traffic. Its the easiest way to score some more range.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRRegular View Post
What do you mean by "better" exactly? Which gets better mileage? Typically by looking at spec sheets, you'll always find the highway EPA better than the city because you're maintaining a constant speed (speculated) and you're less stop and go.

Better, I mean in the long run which is more ideal a car that have more highway miles or a car that have more city miles. I read in some articles that highway miles is better for your car since it is cruising on its comfortable speed which results to less stress on the engine. Which you also mentioned on your post. Thanks for the insight
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 11:17 PM
SiR

Quote:
Originally Posted by marti015 View Post
Better, I mean in the long run which is more ideal a car that have more highway miles or a car that have more city miles. I read in some articles that highway miles is better for your car since it is cruising on its comfortable speed which results to less stress on the engine. Which you also mentioned on your post. Thanks for the insight
That's why I always like not sticking with the pack of cars in city driving, instead hang back and just cruise. Its amazing how little effort is required to drive up to the legal speed and how little fuel is used.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 12:33 PM

Far higher/better with non M'way/Freeway miles in a hybrid, I was at 66mpg (albeit our UK gallon is 17% larger IIRC)

Then I did a long (by UK standards) M'way trip of 400 miles with an average speed of over 70mph.

My economy dropped to 61 overall with less than 2000 miles covered, it's taken me 800 country/urban miles to claw my way back to 64mpg overall.

Since you don't have the hybrid stateside (but a 2.0) it should be like any other non-hybrid car I've driven and should give you better mpg on long runs at higher speeds

So in the case of my Audi A6 3.0 quattro deisel = 54mpg, my 4.0 jaguar XK8 = 35mpg, no way I'd get those on local or short trips
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 10:58 AM

Highway miles are always better regarded because they're considered to be miles put on with less abuse. Not only just because of stop and go traffic, but also because on the highway, the roads aren't as bad as city roads are so the suspension doesn't take as much of a toll. Although you are going at a higher rate of speed, it evens out a lot easier.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota C-HR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page