Engine cranking but takes long to start - Toyota C-HR Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Engine cranking but takes long to start

Hi, today my new C-HR has been doing something weird. 4 times today when I would try to start it it would take longer than normal to start (easily 5-10 seconds) cranking before starting.

Anyone experienced this? It's like 22 degrees Celsius outside and their is no issue with the battery since I was doing about 100km of highway driving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Btw, I've got the 2.0 litre engine (the only one offered in North America)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 12:25 PM

That's super weird.

If it keeps cranking and isn't turning over, one would assume that you aren't getting fuel right away or something. Can you hear the injectors priming?

Of course, the best thing is to send that over to the dealership asap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Finally got to check if there was a code in the OBD: u0124 - Lost Communication With Lateral Acceleration Sensor (LAS) Module

Guess I'm going to have to bring it to the dealer to get it checked...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 03:15 PM

That's really odd. Keep us updated on what the dealership changes or updates in order to fix the issue. I'm not really too sure what that LAS module is.. I'll do some research though.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Car is at the dealer. Being an internittent problem they might want to charge if it doesn't do it when at the service bay. Anyways I had 2 videos of it cranking so I also gave it to them. We'll see what they find.. Will keep you posted.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 07:26 PM
SiR

This has me wondering if owners in Europe are experiencing something similar and if they are working on a solution. That could provide Toyota US and US dealers some direction. Did they at least give you a loaner/free rental?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

So I went to the Toyota Gabriel (in VIlle St-Laurent, QC) dealer on Monday to get it checked at. Naturally the car didn't do it while it was there (happens mostly after long highway drives) but no worries I had 2 videos over the weekend of the car cranking for 5-7 seconds before starting.

So the dealer tells me that if the car isn't doing it while it ios there there will be a fee for the checkup! That's when I got annoyed.

Anyways at the end of the day the called me back and started telling me that they upgraded the firmware of the car so that it is like it left the facotry floor (they erased the code in the computer) and they start telling me some mumbo jumbo story about the block heater is responsable for this and it is normal and it is a new feature in all the new Toyota's. Wow I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Anyways I was really anxious to see the work order of what it is they did.

Went to pickup the car and no work order was ever filled out! Asked them over the phone and by email to know get exactly what was done and since I didn't want to pay for the diagnostics fee they wouldn't fill out a work order. According to them I have to 'provide us more evidence when , where , and what does it do when the engine start cranking could help us find the problem' and seems the provided videos according to them show nothing wrong.

So hopefully the car doesn't do this anymore since the OBD has been cleared....
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 02:37 PM

I highly suggest you go to another dealership as that one that you went to seems to full of "tools". With my knowledge of engines and what not, I can't for the life of me figure out how the block heater has anything to do with the car struggling to turn over. What does sound like will happen will be a prematurely failing starter motor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota C-HR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page