Toyota C-HR Could Corner Better - Toyota C-HR Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Toyota C-HR Could Corner Better

Carried over from the now dead Scion brand, the 2018 Toyota C-HR is a fun and comfortable little crossover that doesnít corner all that well. At least thatís what Consumer Reports thinks in their latest review.

Its funky looks helps it stand out in the crowded crossover segment along with the plethora of features it comes standard with including the Toyota Safety Sense P driver assist and safety suite, 7-inch touchscreen, dual-zone climate control, soft touch materials and leather accents. This is just the basic XLE model, the Premium trim comes with even more equipment like heated seats, lane departure warning, etc.

On the road, Consumer Reports found the cabin to be quiet even when you step on the gas pedal hard and the C-HRís engine gets loud and buzzy at over 4,000 rpms.

Additionally, the vehicle delivers a taught yet comfortable ride over bumpy roads. But that comfort comes at the cost of reducing its cornering abilities. The C-HR will go into corners confidently, but it lacks the steering response of a Mazda CX-3 and thereís a fair amount of lean if a corner is tackled too aggressively.

Perhaps in time, the aftermarket will provide owners with a solution to this problem.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 11:15 AM

This isn't supposed to be a track vehicle.. it's just meant to be fun. If you want better corning capabilities,a few simple adjustments to the suspension like sway bars and the likes can tighten it up for you.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 11:55 AM

I'm not going to track the C-HR anytime soon, but it does make me question how aggressive they were with the corners because I don't like the feeling of a high sitting car leaning. I've been in plenty of SUVs and every time someone turns too fast, it scares me a little to feel one side shift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 12:40 PM

I think the C-HR will perform adequately on daily dries and you really shouldn't be making turns that fast on public roads anyways. But is it's really a concern there are aftermarket options you can look into like sway bars.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 08:04 AM

In my view handling is a crucial safety feature in cases of emergency collision avoidance. You want to be able to control your vehicle to the best of your abilities not tempt fate. Cheers
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 07:05 AM

Maybe the us market has another suspension setup?
The handling of the european models is very tight with minimal body roll.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 12:14 PM

I assume the suspension setup is uniform across the board as it'll cost too much to change key components for various markets. Could be down to the U.S. and European reviewers' personal preferences when it comes to body roll. With how many modded C-HR's we've already seen, we shouldn't have any problems finding aftermarket parts to change the car's drive dynamics.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 12:55 PM

For daily driving, you really shouldn't be worried about it feeling like it's going to tip because that would indicate some pretty aggressive driving which alone is a much larger safety issue.

If you plan on tracking it, then you already know modifications will need to be made regardless to get it to perform in any way "properly"
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 01:19 PM

Coming from integra dc2's skyline etc etc Im having as much speed and confidence in the Chr as them on the road. In fact I feel like I can push it a bit more on the road than my rattly race machines.

Very shocked. Feels Planted to me.

I guess its going to be more skittish than a 3 ton Cadillac or what ever you drive mostly over there
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 11:16 AM

That's kinda shocking that you feel more confidence in the C-HR than the DC2 and Skyline as those were pretty darn capable

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota C-HR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page